Would it be fair to compare JWs to Terrorist Organisations?

by african GB Member 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

Only in the respect that most terrorists nowadays seem to be religious nut-jobs.

• nugget
    nugget

No I don't feel that it is a fair comparison on anything other than a superficial level.

Terrorists don't engage on a campaign to convert people to their point of view rather they plant the bomb and they let people die with little or no warning. JWs don't expect to be engaged in violence on any level that is up to others and they would say that they have engaged in a warning work to persuade people to change their views to avoid destruction.

Terrorists expect to die and kill as many along with them as possible. JWs who die for their faith do so in isolation. They do not expect to die.

The organisation uses terror of armagegedon to keep people in line, the threat is future. Terrorist use terror of immediate reprisals from members e.g. death to keep their members in line. Their violence is final and immediate.

It is more useful to compare with other cults this is where the true similarities lie.

• excito-are
    excito-are

No. To be a terrorist organisation, surely violence and the threat of violence has to be central to its actions. However, I would say they have the potential to be a terrorist organisation given they can be so controlled by a number of men whom they know nothing about. The bible and new light could be used to justify anything.

As voltaire said. "Those who have the power to make you believe absurdities, have the power to make you commit atrocities".

Excito

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

dgp, alanv, excito

very good points

• asilentone
    asilentone

nope

• cry
    cry

It's probably not a fair comparison but I used to ask my ex that if Jehovah decided that HE wasn't going to be the one to do the killing but his will was to be carried out by the Witnesses - would he take part in it? After all, it would achieve the same end result. He couldn't agree, but it did make him think that if you support such an action, you should be willing to carry it out. I think most witnesses would recoil at this, but there are undoubtedly some who would do it, therefore become terrorists, the same as any other.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I think it would be more fair to compare JWs with gangs as I do here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/50796/1/Gangs-and-Dubs

Farkel

• flipper
    flipper

AFRICAN GB MEMBER- Good thread. Very interesting. The definition of the word Terror in the dictionary is :

" Intense, overpowering fear. One that instills fear. The ability to instill intense fear. Violence committed or threatened by a group to intimidate or coerce a population, as for military or political purposes. "

The definition of Terrorism is : " The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of INTIMIDATING OR COERCING societies or governments , often for ideological or political reasons. "

If you take the definition at face value - an argument could be made that, yes, Jehovah's Witnesses and the WT society are a terrorist organization in the sense they DO attempt to intimidate and coerce citizens of countries to adopt their views with the threat of being destroyed at Armageddon if they DON'T adopt their views. If a person looks at the REAL history of the WT society through the 20th century - we see people being coerced to not take blood transfusions with the threat of shunning or destruction if they accept blood. Malawi Jehovah's Witnesses were bludgeoned and murdered due to the WT society's insistence on members NOT purchasing a political I.D. card. Yet Mexico young witnesses were allowed to join the military for the WT society's benefit. And dare we discuss how many Jehovah's Witnesses died in gas chambers along with Jews in Germany during World War 2 ? And for what ? A scam filled dream that the WT society coerced millions of people to accept as truthful , important enough that the WT society COMMENDED those people to be killed for ? If you really sit down and analyze it - I would call the WT society a dangerous " Terror filled mind control cult " under the definition I just described. They may not have DIRECTLY pulled the trigger of a gun on people - but coerced people into following the WT leaders into a road leading to their deaths and innocent lives lost - gone forever. I feel that the WT society is actually also a " Psychological terrorist organization " to be honest. Just my 2 cents. Now I'll go hide from the bullets flying ! LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• John Doe
    John Doe

You lose all credibility making that argument flipper.

The definition of Terrorism is : " The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of INTIMIDATING OR COERCING societies or governments , often for ideological or political reasons. "
  • EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

No, it is a rather extreme comparision. And being raised a Witness, I never thought of worldly people as enemies. And last time I checked noone tried to give me a bomb to put in my service bag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit