i don't like to dig deep into the bible... am i bad?

by ?me? 21 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Read something short and sweet like the Sermon on the Mount, Give to those in Need, don't screw your friends, be genuine and a good person.

Tada you may now go about your life with a smile.

• cantleave
    cantleave

No you are not bad. I was an Elder and rarely read the bible. I get bored by it. I just assumed the research was being done on my behalf. I'm now of the opinion that the bible is take it or leave it and thats what I do, I take some of it (Semon on the Mount, Jesus was a nice guy who could teach well and gave some good principles to live by), and leave the rest as allogory and old wives tales.

• nugget
    nugget

Everyone has different interests and perspectives on life. You are not bad. Millions of witnesses worldwide think Bible study is underling the watchtower and reading societies literature. Most of what they are taught is wrong.

You don't have to study the Bible to be a good person but you need to know a little so as not to be taken in by the masters of deception at WTBTS.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is just the after effects of years of cult conditioning.

If your Daddy was a Muslem you would be feeling guilty about not wanting to understand the Koran.

• inbetween
    inbetween

no,not bad at all, had to force myself reading the bible, especially the OT can be broing at times, however, there is something

that we (ex and current JW) should have done from the beginning: read the context !!! esp. of scriptures WTS uses for their

control and self-boasting attitude.

Then, maybe, we would have seen, that shunning (2. John 10,11) applies not to DFD persons, that the faithful slave is not a prophesied class just an illustration, that the second coming of Christ is not seen through world events, that the 7 times of Daniel have no indication pointing to establishment of the heavenly kingdom 1914, etc...

then, maybe, we would have been spared of lots of garbage, mind control, heart ache, inner conflicts....

• chickpea
    chickpea

i suspect you have more of a bible knowledge than you think....
    for reasons more political than religious, i participated in a mainstream
    church's ecumenical bible study on "what the bible really says about
    homosexuality" this past summer, and i was stunned at the LACK of
    familiarity these life-long church-goers displayed regarding the content
    and historicity of the scriptures....

the JWs do know their way around the testaments....
    even if their interpretation is whack....

i tell my kids that it is a book that requires at least a fundamental
    familiarity, since it is still referred to in literature and history, at least
    in western culture, but it need take no more further relevance than that...

yeah, i am mightly impressed by the "dig deep" researchers here...
    the display of passionate inquiry is something awesome to behold

• Heaven
    Heaven

i don't like to dig deep into the bible... am i bad?

Not at all. I'm with you. I had a real hard time relating to or connecting with the Bible. Oh, I get the morals and lessons no problem but I don't think I have to read and re-read the same scriptures to be a good person. As a matter of fact, I can find scriptures faster than my father who has been an MS for over 20 years! Hmmmm...

I personally related far more to more present day material such as "7 Habits of Highly Effective People", "First Things First", "Five Love Languages", "Crisis of Conscience" to name a few. These I connected with far more than I ever connected with the Bible.

For those who wish to delve deeply into the Bible I say "Go for it". But for me, personally, I have other things I am more interested in. It is the lessons learned and executed on that make you a moral person. Not how much Hebrew and Greek you know or whether you have the entire Bible memorized.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

No, you're not bad. I also like to just stick to the basic Bible principles of 'being good and doing good'; all the other 'deep' stuff, I couldn't care less about it.

DY

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Not as bad as digging the Bible in somewhere nice and deep.

• moshe
    moshe

Ah, I had forgotten about Melville's "Typee", Yes, I did read that one and imagination filled in the gaps of his story! You know the Bible is so disjointed from so many different writing styles and the piecework editing that was done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit