Any Buddhists here?

by John Doe 83 Replies latest jw friends

• awildflower
    awildflower

Thanks Doe for the video but I wouldn't call myself an extremist, I agree with the post on "balance". I believe the planet is very capable of taking care of itself as well but maybe there are other reasons of moral that we shouldn't hurt or destroy certain aspects of the planet. Just because the planet can and has been growing trees forever does it make it ok to greedily and irresponsibly take what we want? Since this WAS a post on Buddhism, I'd say I admire their understanding of their connection to the planet. Christians, and others, don't! I don't think I could explain myself to you but I tried.......wf

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Paul: That makes sense but how do you turn your brain off? Mine just keeps going in over-drive.

While most of Stephen Levine's material is on end-of-life subjects, he came out with an excellent short book introducing Vipisanna (breathing) meditation in A Gradual Awakening that I find useful. As Satanus says, meditation is a tool that can quiet the mind.

There is always this dynamic: the Being can be in subjection to the Mind, or the Mind can be in subjection to the Being. The Mind, your thoughts, can be a tool that you use, called upon as needed, or a harsh task master.

When you see your thoughts going into over-drive, notice that - acknowledge that - and turn your attention and awareness to your breath. Keep your attention on your breathing, the intake, a brief pause, the letting out...and when your thoughts drift off again, acknowledge that, and return to your breathing. Notice your thoughts going by, first as cars in a train, then as leaves in a stream. Notice them, acknowledge them, return to the breath.

Quieting the mind becomes a natural result of focusing on your internal body processes; awareness of your body is the doorway into a deeper understanding of your experience of existence.

John Doe: voideater, you Buddhist?

Not dogmatically.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Does she have Buddha statues?

I've got one in my garden where I like to sit and think. I want one for inside the house. And no, not the fat guy, but the real Buddha.

BTS

• undercover
    undercover
    smacks UC up side his knotty head

My head is nice and smooth, thank you very much...

And why would you attack me without even knowing why? You said yourself you couldn't see the pics. Maybe you would have agreed that they indeed did make a cute couple.

And beks....does this mean you don't love me anymore?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    My head is nice and smooth, thank you very much...
    And why would you attack me without even knowing why?

Knotty means something entirely different in our culture.

I trust Bek.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Incidentally, Buddhism and Christianity overlap a great deal. In Tibetan Buddhism, there is supposed to be a Saint Issa, which according to this source, is Jesus. And in Christianity, one of the saints is actually Buddha.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ha ha UC, she trusts me.

Many religions have similar stories. Ancient stories. It's the interpretations by the followers, and what they do with them that count.

• poppers
    poppers

On statues of Buddha; from BurnTheShips: I've got one in my garden where I like to sit and think.

Oh, the irony! Buddha must be crying somewhere if he knew of this.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

VoidEater, thank you very much! You've given me ideas on areas I need to explore.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Oh, the irony! Buddha must be crying somewhere if he knew of this.

Really? Why do you say this?

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit