Any Buddhists here?

by John Doe 83 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

What do you believe?

• JWoods
    JWoods

My live-in lady companion is a life-long Buddhist (Vietnamese lady). So are her kids. (Other members of her family are Catholic...)

I consider it probably as much a philosophy as a religion. If you do call it a full-blown religion, it must be the most permissive and non-judgemental major religion on earth.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Does she have Buddha statues?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Lisa Simpson announced that she's a Buddhist on last night's Simpson's episode. Bart called her a Hindu and she shouted at him, "Buddhist! I'm a freaking Buddhist!"

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Does she have Buddha statues?

Only the fat guy kind - she says this is not really supposed to be a statue of the Buddha himself, but rather kind of a "good feelings" image.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Is Buddha a god?

• poppers
    poppers

Is Buddha a god?

No; he was as much a "god" as you are. Buddha was just a guy who "woke up" to what he really is. Buddha means "the awakened one". He pointed the way for others to wake up as well.

• awildflower
    awildflower

The thing about people like Buddha, Jesus, Lao-tzu, these "awakened" individuals who tried to show by example what they knew inside, is that people made a "religion" out of them and ruined the real message these ones had. That's a shame, because their message was all encompasing and simple and brought us right back within for the answers. No I'm not a Buddhist but I take things from all of them and leave the 'religion' of it behind...........wf

• Farkel
    Farkel

I admire many things Buddha said. Let's put it this way: I admire more of what Buddha said than what Jesus said.

Farkel

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I believe that suffering comes from attachment to things or situations.

I believe that the only meaningful response to the world as it is is compassion.

I believe that most trouble man makes for himself through an over-active mind.

I believe there is an awareness of the interconnectedness of all things within the experience of existing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit