What is "Present Truth?"

by garyneal 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Present Truth is Tomorrow's Lie.

It's also a current lie designed to replace a former lie.

Farkel

• sir82
    sir82

The word "present" can mean 2 at least things in English:

1) Here, not there; with us

2) Now, not past or future

(Of course there are other possible meanings)

What does the original Greek text for 2 Peter 1;12 indicate?

Seems that Russell, and JWs down to this day, seem to prefer definition #2, with the implication that "today's" truth, while in the "present", might not be "tomorrow's" truth.

Maybe Peter was saying "present truth" as in "truth that has been revealed to us, that is here with us" and not "truth that might change from one day to the next".

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

I asked in one of my first threads what makes people like us awake from the WBTS slumber? You see, statements like "New Light", etc, really helped me awake.

Anyway, I have been doing a lot of research on why we took "the red pill". It all comes down to IQ. Yep, beleive it or not, we have a higher IQ. That's why our subconscious moved us to act.

Oh, I do miss Reineea (spelling).

• cantleave
    cantleave

An elder used the phrase "New truth"c the other day, My response was it is either "Truth" or a "Lie" Truth doesn't change, Lies do.

• TD
    TD

In Adventism, "Present Truth" basically means the increased light of prophecy's fulfillment. In other words, they believe that understanding of the Bible gets better as you see prophecy fulfilled. --I guess it makes sense if you accept the Adventist's core premise. (i.e That the time of the Advent is predicted is some cryptic way.)

That's what the term meant to Russell as well. Somewhere along the way though, it got a looser definition among JW's. As others have already pointed out, it means, "Whatever we happend to teach at the moment."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It was based on a misunderstanding of the Greek too. Apparently the word meant 'present' in a spatial sense, as in 'present here rather than over there'. But Russell, like others before him, took it in a temporal sense, as in 'present now rather than at some other time', and used it as a excuse for claiming that the Bible sanctions ever-changing teachings on the basis of 'new light'.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Present truth , new light , typical and common wording used to spin and change doctrine as required and seen fit

by propagating cult leaders. As is usually for just about all religious cult leaders, they are said to be aligned with a

great spiritual force from which truth is revealed to these select individuals .

In regards to the " present truth " of the JWS there is a time limiting factor.

To days truth usually turns into tomorrows apostasy.

• freydo
    freydo

2 Peter 1:12 "Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in

the truth which is present with you." NASB

• garyneal
    garyneal

Yes, it does indeed appear that Jehovah's Witnesses take present truth to mean, "What the Watchtower currently teaches." What is sad is how witnesses must ask themselves, "What does the WT say instead of, what does the Bible say?" Of course, they will never admit this publically and especially to 'non-believers' such as myself.

It's too bad they don't just admit that they were wrong and say that we've been corrected rather than keep saying, "Jehovah has given us 'new light.'" But if they did that, then I guess their whole claim to being in The Truth TM would fall apart.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I remember a question from readers about "Present Truth" and how the society had decided to drop its usage. Remember the song: "...and keep in step with present truth..." anyway, can't find it on the cd but I know its there. W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit