What is "Present Truth?"

by garyneal 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

Thought I'd share this little bit of 'research' with you all. I remember sometime back when I was visiting my wife's KH, they sang a song from the song book that contained the words, present truth. I did a quick search on Google to see what people on the Internet were saying about this phrase. Interestingly, the only major branch of religion that I saw in the first couple of pages of results were Adventist (though there were lots of churches that used it in their title). In wikipedia, all references were to adventist groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present_Truth

How enlightening...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

To a JW, "present truth" is whatever the current flip or flop might be. Example:

When I was a little kid, it was no blood transfusions of any sort and no organ transplants.

When I was a little bit older kid, it was no blood transfusions of any sort unless you're a hemophiliac and transplants are just fine.

Then, present truth became that blood fractions are ok, but no whole blood or any of the four fictional primary components.

(Note: I probably missed several present truths in-between)

The great thing about a present truth is that it isn't necessarily true; it is quite subject to change.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Present Truth..

Is Bullshit..

Packaged Nicely with a Ribbon on it..

Personally addressed to you!..

Present

..................... ...OUTLAW

• snowbird
    snowbird

2 Peter 1:12 Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth. KJV

2 Peter 1:12 So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. NIV

2 Peter 1:12 Because the stakes are so high, even though you're up-to-date on all this truth and practice it inside and out, I'm not going to let up for a minute in calling you to attention before it. MSG

It seems that Russell borrowed this phrase from the Adventists and ran with it.

Isn't it good to find out that the Apostle Peter didn't mean changing doctrines as you would change hats?

Sylvia

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Outlaw got it right. To me, something is either right or its wrong. Men believed the Earth was flat years ago, that wasn't present truth, it was wrong. It wasnt almost right, or they're on to something, no, it was wrong. They were wrong. The same way the WTS is dead wrong on several major issues. Not refinenement, not brighter light, but in fact.......wrong. Wrong, incorrect, false, etc..

• parakeet
    parakeet

Present Truth is Tomorrow's Lie.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Present truth comes wrapped in shiny paper and bows and ribbons.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Okay Gary, try this:

Go to your link ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present_Truth ) and notice that there is another link near the top offering a common understanding of present truth: The Present Truth, or Meat in Due Season, a booklet by Jonas Wendell .

The Jonas Wendell link doesn't get you quite there, but going to the Wiki entry for Charles Taze Russell ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Taze_Russell ) gets us back to another place where Jonas Wendell pops up. Wendell is listed in the EARLY LIFE section as someone Russell heard at age 18. Russell accepted his belief that the second coming would happen in 1874.

Russell accepted the term "present truth" and "meat in due season" in his doctrines.

This thread ran last week with some good answers: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/186542/1/When-did-the-Watchtower-start-using-the-term-the-truth

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In George Orwell's , "1984" p 261

"Whatever the Party holds to be truth IS truth. It is impossible to see reality except through the eyes of The Party, that is a fact that you have to re learn, Winston"

• garyneal
    garyneal

Sylvia,

Indeed it is. When I saw that 'present truth' was actually in the Bible, I checked it against all the English language translations on Bible Gateway. It appears that the KJV, Young's Literal Translation, Derby Translation, and Wycliff New Testament uses 'present truth.' All others use something like truth, or truth that you have now (or at this time). I believe truth is unchanging so the whole idea of 'truth' changing from one instance to another does not make sense, only our opinions or best guests about what the truth is changes.

OTWO,

Good catch. I remember reading about Jonas Wendell on wikipedia from the link about Charles Russell on wikipedia. The Proclaimers book gives a little info about how Russell got some of his beliefs from the Adventists. Interesting on Russell where it states that his followers thought of HIM as the faithful and wise servant and 'was described by the Watch Tower after his death as having been made "ruler of all the Lord's goods".'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit