A Sphere is Not a Circle

by AK - Jeff 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

You bet it's not! My teacher made that very clear the first day of geometry class in grade school, yeah, grade school. Those were her exact words "a sphere is not a circle", she said it rather sternly and she pointed her finger at us for emphases.

Then I went to the Kingdom hall and some guy from the stage said that the bible calling the earth a circle was proof that it was inspired.

So, now, as an adult, I realize why my teacher used such emphasis, apparently, lot's of people don't know this simple fact.

• jdhf
    jdhf

elsewhere...I think you mean 'formulae'...

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The whole argument on boths sides is bogus. Everyone knows the earth is a square. It has four foundations or sides. Besides that, how could Jesus see ALL the Kingdoms of the earth if the earth was anything but flat?

You guys don't know what you are talking about.

Forget it Farkel. In my Grand Unified Conspiracy [GUC] theory I have been developing to roll all known conspiracies into one, the earth is cylindrical, with a wedge cut out of it in the Pacific ocean. And hollow, of course. The Japanese exploited this to attack Pearl Harbor by flying a shortcut over the gap. The international date line is where the wedge is and time actually folds back 24 hours.

Kurt of the not really a nutcase class

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I wrote an article about this on my blog. There are several verses throughout the old and new testaments that support the view that the earth is a flat disc, covered by a solid dome (the "firmament") that the sun, moon, and stars are attached to. There are no verses that explicitly suggest a spherical earth. One should also consider the fact that the idea of the spherical earth did not come from the Bible, and no one who came to said conclusion got the idea from the Bible. If the Bible really said it, then it would have been taught by the Church all along.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

One should also consider the fact that the idea of the spherical earth did not come from the Bible, and no one who came to said conclusion got the idea from the Bible. If the Bible really said it, then it would have been taught by the Church all along.

OMG, sometimes the most obvious stuff goes by un noticed.

That last line say volumns.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I wanted to bump this thread back up to continue to show the blantant intellectual dishonesty of the 'scholarly' translators of the NWT revised 2013 edition.

In the opening section of the NWT revised 2013 edition it asks in Question 4: "Is the Bible scientifically accurate?". Then it directs you to page 989 where you can look up ISAIAH 40:22 which says: "There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth." Then you are directed to a footnote for the word circle which states it can mean "Or "sphere"". The implication is that Jehovahs true servants have known all along that the earth is round and not flat.

STRONGS EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE gives the meaning for the Hebrew word khoog as used in this scripture as follows:khoog:a circle:- circle, circuit, compass

The meaning is what it is. Circle, nothing more and nothing less. Is it possible that no Hebrew word exists that would describe a ball like or sphere type structure and therefore it was necessary to use the word khoog and interpret its meaning from the scriptures context?

ISAIAH 22:18 could shed some light on this. It says:"He will certainly wrap you up tightly and hurl you like a BALL (italics mine) into a wide land."

STRONGS EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE gives the meaning for the Hebrew word dure as used in this scripture as follows:dure from 1752- a circle, ball or pile-ball, turn, round about.

My contention is that it is dishonest of Watchtower 'scholars and theologians' to continue this scientific farce and perpetuate the myth when they must know full well that the word for something 'ball shaped and spherelike' is separate and distinct from the word that ONLY means a circle. ISAIAH himself must have known this since he supposedly wrote the book that bears his name. Scientific fact or religious obfuscation? If there is a philologist or Hebrew scholar that can prove my contention incorrect than I will welcome the facts and correct my understanding.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, that's very interesting. The Reference Bible (1984) does not have that footnote.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

A Sphere is a circle + another + another. It is 360 degrees of circles.

Isaiah and Job were right about their statements of the earth being a circle and a sphere and hanging upon nothing.

Isaiah was directly inspired of Jehovah. Job was just a guy who was speaking to other people and had no inspiration.

I believe that back then they believed in the truth of the matter in that the earth was not square or a cube but it was a sphere; but false religion changed that.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Dreadful translation of Job. Perhaps English is dying.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Rattigan350, was your post an attempt at humor?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit