Odd CO talk...ever hear anything like this?

by sir82 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Besides, how is it 'mercy' to give something good to someone who has done good. Surely it's 'justice' or reward.

Grace is providing a benefit for the deserving and undeserving. Mercy is witholding a just punishment, surely?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Grace is providing a benefit for the deserving and undeserving. Mercy is witholding a just punishment, surely?

But note that the CO talk does not give YHWH-god credit for permanent mercy - just kind of withholding the doom for 120 years, or some other time period - then, kersmacko - kills them dead.

I even heard this from other elders and even COs back in the 3 or 4 years past 1975; "maybe Jehovah saw that there were more people to be saved, so he just kind of postponed the otherwise inevitable end in 1975 out of mercy -"

Which made me (and others) wonder, well - then: What good was all the Russell-Franz phony chronology in the first place?

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I heard that same talk over 5 years ago.

It must be an old outline they are using again. Recycled garbage!

I like your observations though! It's great your mind is working and seeing these things! Thanks for pointing it out for others to think about too!

• freydo
    freydo

Jesus came in 1918 to inspect the wt

"Justice demanded their immediate execution. But God granted undeserved kindness and allowed them to live another 930 years, i.e., he gave them time. During that time of undeserved kindness, Abel performed a righteous act and thus God extends mercy and will grant him life in the resurrection."

.......so he extended undeserved kindness and had da judge and his cronies thrown into jail for apostasy.

But then extended mercy and granted their release to live on and learn from their wrong ways and where in the resurrection there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth for those who have done bad but who did not repent.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

As Blondie quoted from the 2002 WT, the CO is technically inaccurate as of the 2002 understanding. If "justice" demanded their immediate execution, they would have been executed immediately. Mercy wouldn't "temper" perfect justice. Hojovah wouldn't back down from Deut. 32:4, because "all his ways are justice", no matter how many innocent people have to be slaughtered.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

I think it's just another feeble attempt to prop up a baseless year and stretch it a little longer while they figure out how to re-tie it all together after the debacle of 1995 and subsequent changes to the "generation".

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

WTWIzard:"I think the homosexuality excuse was used to justify Jehovah's destruction of these prosperous cities--and I have reason to believe that it wasn't quite as widespread as the Bible would have one believe. If one only practiced homosexuality and never practiced "straight" sex, the whole city would have died out without any of Jehovah's "help". It had to be because, left alone, those two cities would have shown other people that mankind could function just fine without that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag."

Some preachers have remarked that homosexual men lived in Sodom and the lesbians lived in Gomorrah.

How much longer will the masses continue to listen to this tripe?

And from what Sir82 has said, the CO says that "Lot's righteousness was in fleeing the city!"

The story has always been told that he was previously found righteous in order to even be considered to be alerted to get out. These words from the CO changes everything! Since God is all-knowing, surely he knew that Lot would become an incestuous pedophile. Therefore this particular sexual sin must be considered righteous by God. Unless, God is not all-knowing. Which is it?

Watch out. Watchtower is equating "righteousness" with "obedience" to what they tell you to do and what they tell you to believe.

And if you really want to know what Sodom and Gomorrah was all about, read here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/186108/1/Jihad-at-Sodom-and-Gomorrah

• Odrade
    Odrade

Very Calvinist. Well, we all knew that the WTS was never really big on the whole "Grace" thing anyways. Would make them too unnecessary.

• jacquicortez
    jacquicortez

Wrong. The Biblical account is quite clear: God had already made up his mind that EVERYONE save Noah and family was to die. It never said God told Noah to preach a single thing, and it never said Noah preached a single thing. Even if he did, what would be the message? "You are all going to die. God says so. So there." What good would preaching something like that do? Nothing!

Farkel

all my life i was taught at the Kingdom hall and in all my bible studies that Noah preached to the people of his time. I've seen many dramas at the assemblies on Noah preaching to the wicked people and how they just refused to listen. I just picked up my bible (not a jw bible) and it says nothing about Noah preaching or being told to preach. NOTHING. I feel like i need a slap in the face. ..well that was a slap in the face. I feel like

i just got ripped off in a card trick.

Thank you farkel.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The whole purpose of the talk is to justify/rationalize why the end has not yet come; after all, how can any be upset that the WT's predictions have not come true, when they are hearing that God has used 'mercy' to postpone the end?

More hogwash from the experts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit