MIL comment irritates me...

by AggieNostic 20 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

It would make more sense that the love in the local congregation on a weekly basis would be more convincing that being around people for just a few days and never seeing them again.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I would love to tell them both how we truly feel about JWs,but it would hurt them

It would hurt the ones who keep hurting *you* with ignorant statements? I do not advocate hurting people intentionally, so I understand the sensitivity. I'm going through a very similar thing. But I hope you think about your statement & who it really hurts by keeping your life a secret.

and it would be of no benefit.

You sure about that last part? It would be of no benefit to tell them how you feel? Would it be no benefit to express who you truly are?

Best wishes

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The comments are typical- just keep "upping the ante" if you need to feel "the truth."

If a "study" doesn't feel it, they should come to the Kingdom Hall.
    If an attendee doesn't feel it, they should become a "publisher."
    If a publisher doesn't feel it, get baptized.
    If a baptized publisher doesn't feel it, pioneer.
    If you didn't feel it as a pioneer couple with one as an elder attending meetings and assemblies and studying regularly, then have you tried International Conventions?

It's a way to get you back to any involvement at all. They mean well and hope such activity would trigger a feeling.
    It also collapses to lesser activity in a desparate attempt to get you to involve yourself: "Just go to the Memorial, ...C.O. visit, ...assembly, ...a single meeting, ...study with me."

• zions watchman
    zions watchman

Well not my MIL but my sisters, are the same and they always finish with the expression "I KNOW' they don't know sh%$.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I wonder if wearing a "Trekkies Convention Attendee" button would inspire people to become Trekkies? Or maybe "National Pickle Harvesting Convention" or "KKK Convention" would make people want to become a sheet wearer? Puhleeeeeze. Witnesses think so damn much of themselves and they are an army of 1.

NOBODY CARES what they believe who they are or if they think they have the TROOF or not.

I think going to ANY convention would only reiterate that I DID THE RIGHT THING BY GETTING THE HELL OUT!!

I wouldnt bother telling them how you feel. You might as well go tell your fish. They at least wont shun you.

• undercover
    undercover
    ..."if we had only attended one of these international conventions, ... ... we would have seen the unity and love among the brothers... etc..."

The International conventions are more diabolical in generating goodwill and WT brotherly love among those so "privilged" to attend from foreign lands. The out-of-towners are shown a good time and showered all kinds of attention and then they see thousands of other deluded dubs in the same stadium and project the good feelings they have on everyone in attendance, not knowing how many are forced to attend to keep peace in the family, forced to attend by parents or how many are closet apostates or secrect sinners, etc, etc, etc.

And on top of that, they don't realize that they could have spent about half the money they did and enjoyed an even more memorable vacation without all the WT trappings...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    my MIL made the comment to her that "if we had only attended one of these international conventions,
    we would never had stopped attending meetings... we would have seen the unity and love among the brothers... etc..."

EVERY assembly I attended..

You could see more than a few people..

Fast asleep in thier chairs,during the talk..

Some even fell out of their chair and into the aisle,while asleep..

Never once ..

Did I see JW`s,all fall out of thier chairs..

Asleep in Unity..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

PS: went grocery shopping last night with Mrs. AggieNostic and I needed a pen from her purse - guess what pen she gave me??? it was a special printed pen that the in-laws had mfg'd as give-aways at the international convention - had their names, congregation info... her mom must have been so proud of this pen and really shows how spiritual they are - I wonder if they will give these to all of their return visits or pass them out at the quick builds and assemblys - look at us! look at us! we are better JWs than you!!!!

I guess they had dozens made and gave them out - I wasn't aware of this, but my wife said many of them do this and have many types of give-aways... so much money spent on travel, food, special gifts, clothing etc...

if only those funds could have been donated to the homeless or food pantries etc... loving brotherhood indeed!

• Farkel
    Farkel

blondie,

:It would make more sense that the love in the local congregation on a weekly basis would be more convincing that being around people for just a few days and never seeing them again.

Spot on! You succinctly defeated the entire argument of MIL!

If dubs "turn on" "love" at an International Assembly and then "turn off" "love" at the KH, then their "love" is as transient as their doctrine.

Farkel

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Socrates says (in the Republic) that people who take the sun-lit world of the senses to be good and real are living pitifully in a den of evil and ignorance.

Socrates admits that few climb out of the den or cave of ignorance, and those who do, not only have a terrible etruggle to attain the heights, but when they go back down for a visit or to help other people up, they find themselves objects of scorn and ridicule.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit