Do JW's Put More Faith in the Watchtower or in the Bible?

by Sour Grapes 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

dgp - you can address me any time buddy no need to apologise. My comment was meant to imply exactly what you said. I don't think the Bible has much value and the WTS has none.

• rmnnoute
    rmnnoute

If it were true that JWs studying the Bible without WT literature would revert back to the teachings of Christendom, how is it that the early Bible Students, their precursors, came out of Christendom before there was WT literature?

http://pastorrussell.blogspot.com/

How is it that many still come out of Christendom when they compare what the Bible says with what Christendom teaches?

Nor is it true that researching in secular sources is discouraged or forbidden. How many articles in the WT literature could be written without such research in secular sources?

JWs appreciate the utility of studying the Bible topically that WT literature provides, but faith is not put in a magazine, which its publishers readily admit is uninspired and human.

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Rmnnoute,

You said "but faith is not put in a magazine" WHAT NONSENSE, and I am shouting that ! see my post above ,and think about it.

Where do Dubs get the idea that Blood transfusion is wrong ? That Jesus chose the small group of Rutherfordites who had just split from the Bible students, in 1919 as his chosen FDS ? That 1914 has any significance in bible prophecy, I could go on for ages, they get these stupid dumb ideas from a magazine !

It would not matter to me ,but they get people to DIE because of the wrong teachings they publish in a magazine.

How do they obtain "New Light " answer that.

Love,

Wobble

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Do JW's Put More Faith in the Watchtower or in the Bible?

Regarding personal Bible study at Bethel:

Some of the secret groups were told to stop unless they would use the Society's publications for reference. On April 30, 1980, Karl Klein of the GB stated to the whole family:

"If you have a tendency towards ‘apostasy,’ get a hobby and keep yourself busy to keep your mind off of it. Stay away from deep Bible study to determine meanings of the scriptures."

A reasonable person would think if someone had a tendency towards apostasy, that Jehovah God Himself in his very own Word would provide what is necessary to stop such thoughts. But NO! Jehovah God's OWN Word is NOT good enough. Only Watchtower publications are good enough.

Poor Jehovah. Trumped by his own "chosen people."

Farkel

• restrangled
    restrangled

I'll never forget my Mom saying to me after 1975, "I will never let men tell me how to believe again." Fast forward to 2010, ......I think she has lost that clear thinking.

r.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Farkel

That's a good point. Why on Earth would you try to stop people understanding the true meaning of anything unless you were afraid they might reach a different conclusion based on the same information and that, having done so, you would be unable to persuade them away from that conclusion?

Perhaps the WTS think its followers are so dumb that even the holy spirit (if such existed) would not be able to keep them from error or maybe it is because they know that what they teach is flimsy and will not stand up to proper scrutiny. I wish I'd had access to the information available now when I was a naiive trusting 18 year old back in 1982, though whether I would have done the research properly without anyone to encourage me I am not so sure.

Paul

• JesusisYHWH
    JesusisYHWH

JWs do put more faith in the WT than the Bible. An example is an individual JW being judged by judicial committee of elders for celebrating a birthday, Christmas or Easter.

The JW's own Bible, the NWT states in Rom 14:5 "One [man] judges one day as above another; another [man] judges one day as all others; let each [man] be fully convinced in his own mind" that each individual is free to regard "ONE DAY as above another," which includes birthdays, Christmas and/or Easter.

And Col 2:16 NWT states: "Therefore let no man judge YOU in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath." In the context "festival" means RELIGIOUS festival, and therefore the Bible here states that NO MAN is allowed to judge a Christian in respect of observing a religious festival, which also includes celebrating the birth of Christ (Christmas) or His death and resurrection (Easter).

So by its policy and practice of judging JWs for observing birthdays, Christmas and Easter, the WT DOES place itself above the Bible, even its own NWT.

Stephen E. Jones

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Rip a watchtower in front of one and watch their reaction.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Trick question, right? If they put more faith in the Bible they wouldn't be a JW! Good one!

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

JesusisYHWH

I don't know whether or not you have been a JW but you will find that WTS will find scriptures to support all of their positions including disciplining JWs for participating in what they see as pagan celebrations. Although many do it, I cannot understand why folks bother swapping scriptures with each other to argue these points as they lead to an endless and incredibly boring series of unproductive exchanges.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit