Should a Christian see the movie "AVATAR"?

by skeeter1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Under this special tree, any dead being's soul can be transported into a new body.

Yes, that would be "reincarnation". Better than that, this tree's branches can be listened to....and you hear all the "dead souls" speak!

As for Star Wars, I have now seen bits and pieces of it. I guess I get impatient with movies. I own the whole Trilogy series. I'm sure it causes demons to roam through my house. LOL.

I was pretty young when Star Wars came out. I remember my parents saying something that Darth Vadar and the Dark Force were like the demons. I definately couldn't have any of their action figures in my home, or even a coloring book. I remember that well.

Funny, I was allowed to watch, "The Wizard of Oz"! Looking back on that movie, it's pretty demonic. I think I was only allowed to watch it because it was from my parents' era. Flying monkies, witches, etc. Just like the Watchtower, there is a little man behind Oz. LOL.

I was also allowed to watch, "A Sound of Music." Each time, I was told the Catholic church was "terrible, in real life. This movie just tries to make them look good." I was also reminded about her chastity and the evil Nazis (who were also against the JWs).

Geeez.

Skeeter

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Being that the movie is science fiction fantasy, I most likely wont see it.

Something entertaining for the youngsters, perhaps.

I did enjoy James Camerons other movie Titanic though

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Go see any movie you want to see, I think Satan has much better ways to distract you from your false religion.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In 1977 I saw Star Wars in the theatre with my parents. Then I went the next week to see it again with a bunch of Kingdom Hall young adults, including a certain Bethel-bound teen.

Avatar is fantastic in 3D. Don't waste your money on 2D. And as everyone says, the story is pedestrian and rehashed from a dozen movies and books....lemme see, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern (blatant rip off imo), Return of the Jedi (primitives versus advanced technology in a forest setting), Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, Gorillas in the Mist (Sigourney Weaver in the forest studying the anthropology of another species), Princess Mononoke, etc. etc. And there are more than enough things to remind you of Cameron's own movies (e.g. Weaver and those exosuit contraptions from Aliens, reminiscenes of James Horner's music from Titanic, the Harrier/helicopter scenes from True Lies, etc.). And the villians are cardboard cut-outs, the greedy capitalist being particularly weak. And Weaver is the only actor in the film capable of delivering a compelling performance. But the story and the characters ain't the reason to go see the film. The visuals are a stunning achievement, and the story is passable enough to not make the film feel like a disaster.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I think I might see it, just because there is an Aussie man starring in it. It's a weakness of mine.

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

Oh grow some short hairs, it is not a matter if a “Christian” would see the Avatar movie, it all has to do if you are going to be a functioning robot doing just what you’re programmed to do. Let’s face it being a Witness you miss out on most of what life has to offer; I am surprised they have not came down hard on raisin bread.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ll bet a lot of Christians go to see it..

Jehovah`s Witness`s are`nt Christians..

They barely qualify as being Alive..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Agree with that outlaw

kevin

• The Rapster
    The Rapster

It depends on which congregation and where. Some will object to the color Blue.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

What if a Christaian watch the movie of King David? There we have fornication, second degree murder, violence with David slaughtering all non-Israelites?

Is that acceptable?

What if someone makes a movie concerning the Exodus events and the wars of Israel. How about putting in action the massive murdering of innocent infants just because they were pagans? How about the scene that Moses(Numbers ch.31)asks the soldiers of Israel to kill ALL males including infants, ALL non virgins and keep ALL the virgin girls for them?

And this is just few records of violence and sex that we can find in the Old Testament, by a God of wrath and revenge. So that kind of movie is it acceptable to watch it just because they are events that occured in the Bible?

So if a movie like Avatar is acceptable for a Christian to see it I will not answer.

Personally I did enjoy the movie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit