The increasing number of the anointed. Comments, anyone?

by dgp 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• possible-san
    possible-san

A Happy New Year, dgp.

Thank you for the interesting subject.

Now, almost current members of the Governing Body were born after 1935.
    http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/notes-on-governing-body-of-jehovahs.html

That is, they themselves are fakes/imposters.
    They themselves are would-be "the anointed."

In short, it means that the doctrine of JW became an impasse.
    Their doctrine does not have persuasive power any longer.

possible

• dgp
    dgp

Happy New Year to you, too, Possible. And, many thanks for making me aware of the fact that most of the members of the Governing Body would not be considered "anointed" at all if the WTBTS had stuck to its original teaching about the "Generation" and the 144,000.

Also, and, above all, many thanks for the link to Corior.blogspot. That is a great source of information! Let us have a look at this, by Carl Sagan (obviously manipulated by Satan):

An interesting comment on this transformation was made by Carl Sagan in his book Broca's Brain (New York: Ballantine Books, 1979, pp. 332-333):

http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/carl-sagans-remarks-about-jehovahs.html

Doctrines that make no predictions are less compelling than those which make correct predictions; they are in turn more successful than doctrines that make false predictions.

But not always. One prominent American religion confidently predicted that the world would end in 1914. Well, 1914 has come and gone, and -- while the events of that year were certainly of some importance -- the world does not, at least so far as I can see, seem to have ended. There are at least three responses that an organized religion can make in the face of such a failed and fundamental prophecy. They could have said, "Oh, did we say '1914'? So sorry, we meant '2014.' A slight error in calculation. Hope you weren't inconvenienced in any way." But they did not. They could have said, "Well, the world would have ended, except we prayed very hard and interceded with God so He spared the Earth." But they did not. Instead, they did something much more ingenious.

They announced that the world had in fact ended in 1914, and if the rest of us hadn't noticed, that was our lookout. It is astonishing in the face of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry".

I beg to differ from Carl Sagan with respect to the intelligence of the witnesses. The ones I have had personal dealings with, other than preaching at my door, are smart people. They are simply controlled by fear and guilt.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The number crunching just shows that the avg JW just does'nt think, and I was one of them. How could I read articles that mentioned 100's of thousands killed and never thought; "Isn't this more than 144k?" Oh yea the excuse that not were all annointed but then what? Until 1935 there was no great crowd. So what happened to these "non annointed"?

• Heaven
    Heaven

The end of the world was supposed to have been here by now. The GB is in a huge dilemma because this hasn't happened. So all their doctrines, including their 144,000 fantasy and those they call 'the annointed' aren't working out so well. This religion cult was not built for the long term. It's starting to erode their foundation.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

as many have

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Farkel,

You just got me thinking!

All they need to do is somehow figure out a way to claim "new light" entailing the this interpretation should have been 144,000 from each of the twelve tirbes of Isreal. That gives them 1,728,000.

Problem solved!

See I can pull this stuff out of my a** just like the GB.

• Chalam
    Chalam

If you check the bible reference to the 144, 000 it is clear they are nothing to do with those the WT talk about.

Read the text, it is plain and simple.

Revelation 6:12-17 (New International Version)

12 I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, 13 and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as late figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind. 14 The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

15 Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. 16 They called to the mountains and the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! 17 For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?"

Revelation 7 (New International Version)

144,000 Sealed
    1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. 2 Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3 "Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God." 4 Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.
    5 From the tribe of Judah 12,000 were sealed,
    from the tribe of Reuben 12,000,
    from the tribe of Gad 12,000,
    6 from the tribe of Asher 12,000,
    from the tribe of Naphtali 12,000,
    from the tribe of Manasseh 12,000,
    7 from the tribe of Simeon 12,000,
    from the tribe of Levi 12,000,
    from the tribe of Issachar 12,000,
    8 from the tribe of Zebulun 12,000,
    from the tribe of Joseph 12,000,
    from the tribe of Benjamin 12,000.

Revelation 14 (New International Version)

The Lamb and the 144,000
    1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads. 2 And I heard a sound from heaven like the roar of rushing waters and like a loud peal of thunder. The sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps. 3 And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. 4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they kept themselves pure. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among men and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless. Blessings, Stephen
  • moshe
    moshe

I sent a letter to Bethel almost 25 years ago showing them a chart using figures from an actuary that showed the 8600 or so anointed back then, should really be only 3000, tops. And that was by using a very young average age of 35 for the 1935 "sealing". What did I get for my work? Well, I never got a reply from Bethel, but I did get a talking to, by the elders about my letter( which they never saw, either). Apparently the Bethel boys don't like statistics and charts unless they can help their cause. I was told to zip my lip about my anointed remanant paradox, or it would be considered "causing divisions, etc". Ah, the tough love from the Governing Body.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Ah, the tough love from the Governing Body.

I see they are as humble as any JW I've ever met. What a bunch of a-holes!

• Soledad
    Soledad

It proves that 1) they are and always have been full of it and 2) they need to prolong the life of this organization somehow. Look it now 2010, almost 100 years from Christ's invisible but visible reign here on Earth. The end should have been here by now, no?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit