Why Would Someone Like me Leave the "Truth"? Part 2

by cantleave 20 Replies latest jw friends

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

Like many, I am waiting for pt 3

• yknot
    yknot

......waiting with baited anticipation....

• jambon1
    jambon1

Thanks.

I also had a brother Neilson in my cong. He was a complete arsehole & was instrumental in my eventual feelings regarding 'appointment by holy spirit'.

My only regret is not addressing his problems with him personally. I would have loved to have told him exactly what the cong thought of him.

In the end I would have liked to have told him to "f**k off" to his face.

Looking forward to your next part.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Cantleave, your story sounds so familiar. I too remember practicing "being still and quiet" sessions as a child, like five meetings a week and service wasn't enough! ( must have been a suggestion from that era). I didn't see my dad for 3 decades. My husband and I also moved to a more affluent suburb and didn't fit in because we had to work to be there and didn't have family money or status. Know how it feels to have to drive 17 miles to the book study when there is one 1/2 mile away. I can't wait for the part 3, stories like yours make me realise I am not crazy, this organization just eats people up and spits them out! NMKA

• moshe
    moshe
    - If the appointments are made by Holy Spirit, why does it get wrong so very often?

When Brothers have gotten to the bottom of how this flawed process works, Bethel has told brothers that only the process is set up by H.S,. not the results. Like the TV infomercial says, Individual results may vary.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for the story so far. I am surprised at the end of part 2 that Bro. Nielson stepped aside. There must have been some strong pressure on that. Typically, if the bull in the china shop is causing trouble, the bull moves to another china shop.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I didnt realize you had the 2nd story up already. Good read.

Doubting Bro- exactly how I felt/feel. Had I still been a servant, or a random publisher, I probably wouldnt be on this board. The first Elder meeting I had, I remember thinking, "so this is it?" 1/2 hour Elder meetings after regular meetings discussing light bulbs and lightly arguing over what a letter from HQ means and how we should interpret it. Politics, dealing with cliques, snakes,etc.. Most of the time, the Bible is NEVER pulled out. It may end up on the table in front of a couple brothers, but rarely opened. Just all a waste of time.

• freewilly01
    freewilly01

In my ex cong we had some of the most influential and wealthiest elders in North America who influenced the CO and bought them trips to Hawaii on a regular basis. They would never stay with anyone else in the congregation I think it was because he had the best wine and stocked bar! Its not the HOLY SPIRIT that appoints elders its POLITICS in the local congregation...........

Why would someone like you leave the truth? maybe cause you can see through the veneer, fakness of performance.

I remember moving back totally broken financially from a move to where the need was greater and being told by an elder who just didnt plain like me that "if you think your going to be appointed as an elder in this congregation you have another thing comming!" HOLY SPIRIT in action!

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am surprised at the end of part 2 that Bro. Nielson stepped aside.

I think there were a number of issues. Not only was that he wasn't getting his own way and also he was becoming increasingly frustrated by not meeting his own expectations. By this time he had a young family and his wife was suffering from ME as well. It all got too much. He has since changed congregation and I believe he does very little. He may have seen the light - I don't know.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

You have my attention.

elder-schmelder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit