Do NOT go to college, system is coming to an end, EVEN in 1969!!!!!

by Jez 17 Replies latest social current

• Farkel
    Farkel

I had just finished my junior year in high school and had selected to only go a half-day to school in my senior year. I had all the credits, so I was able to do that. My counselor called me in an asked why, since I was an outstanding student and had such great potential for College. Why was I not taking the advanced placement classes I was offered? I sorta gave him an answer, but told him I would bring in my religious master to explain it better to him.

My Presiding Overseer came to school with me a few days later and explained that we believed the world as we knew it would be ending in just a few years and that I was going to devote my time selling Watchtower books and working full time for the glory of the Watchtower Corporation instead of going to college. The counselor didn't get it, but he couldn't do anything about it.

That year was 1965.

Farkel

• dinah
    dinah

Millions Now Living Wasted Their Young Years Listening to Stupid Bastards!

Did I just write a tract?

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@Gayle, Good for you for waking up to have a normal life! Waking up is shocking, but the rewards are priceless! A husband, 5 educated children most probably a pension and a planned retirement for you all! That is fabulous after being a hard working free drone at Bethell. You are to be truly admired as a wonderful success story after leaving WT behind!

The GB all have their planned retirement. They own ALL the KHall's and Assembly Halls around the world. They have servants taking care of their every need. They don't care 2 cents about anyone else.

Singing literature carts? Masturbation videos? Having your picture taken with Caleb and Sophia stand up dolls? barf -barf - barf These guys ARE idiots! lol

@Back to the OP. I do not know anyone of my 'era' who went to College. In 1969 I was a regular pioneer buying that magazine at the literature counter for 3 cents each and 'placing' it (cold calling and selling it) for 5 cents each. All my normal friends from high school went on to have successful lives after furthering their careers. Many of the girls became school teachers or nurses. They married mutually compatible mates. Not someone just because they were of the same religion!

@Farkel: Farkel is dead now, but I wonder whatever happened to his presiding overseer, telling an educated school teacher that "The World IS Ending!" lol lol lol Fifty (50) years ago! lol

Have a great day everyone!

LoisLane

• cappytan
    cappytan

For those curious about the article:

• Lynnie
    Lynnie
    Once again in this organization it depends on who you are if you can go to college or not! My cousin is back in school for a teaching degree I think and that all seems fine. Of course her dad is an uber elder in the North Seattle area and she has recently come back to the JW's after never going for it since she was 15 and she's 35 now! Baptised a year a ago. but her dad is somewhat rich and successful and I don't think he would give any flack since she's just newly back in the fold. And I find it funny she would choose teaching, that is very much a worldly profession but maybe she thinks she's going to teach at Walkill or some crap!
  • Ding
    Ding
    When date after date fails, instead of questioning the premise of the entire chronology most JWs say, "Wow, the end is even CLOSER now. I need to endure to the end..."
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    So many of the older ones put so much stock in that promise. Now they are old, broke and bitter. Can you blame them? I think a lot of the older ones don't want their kids to suffer like they are so they are encouraging their kids to get an education.
  • talesin
    talesin

I was too young to prevent this, but my parents (who believed that shyte, it was 1972) had me hauled out of HS at age 14, when I had a super scholarship deal for my senior year, as an exchange student in Paris. The Guidance Counsellor had been working with me, but when Mother found out ... well, Jehovah wasn't gonna let that happen! NO, don't let that child be a doctor! So, I don't even remember ages 14-16, but dd leave home at 16 to board with another JW family.

I left the religion when I was 18, and never darkened the door of a KH since. It wasn't easy to go it alone in the 70s, with poor health and a grade X education. But I went back to school, and university, and am proud of my personal achievements.

Fast forward 20 years ... my mother "Oh, and AP (a girl I grew up with, whose father was 'worldly' and mother 'spiritually weak') is a DOCTOR! Isn't that amazing? Her mother is so PROUD!"

"But mom, I wanted to be a doctor and you wouldn't let me."

"That's not true. You *wanted* to leave school."

Hypocritical woman that she is. She is the perfect 'elderette'.

Ah, yes, the 1975 Generation. Some of us didn't believe, or buy into that, but still paid the price.

(PS, if you are reading this, AP, don't take offense. I am happy for you! xoxo J)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit