How do you feel about street people asking you for money

by I quit! 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar
    I've had people tell me they can easily rake in $30-50 a day pan-handling - that's tax free money out of your not so tax free income

$30-$50 a day isn't that much money. I don't see how anybody can live comfortably making $30-$50 a day, tax free income or not.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm not sure whom I have more contempt for, bums illicitly begging in the streets, or the people who support them. Same thing with spammers, do I have more contempt for the spammers, or for idiots who respond to spam mail.

• I quit!
    I quit!

So I'm assuming you didn't get the name John Doe because you liked to pass out ten dollar bills to the homeless.

• dissed
    dissed

We live in the homeless capital of America.

Our city and local organizations have a solid support program and that's where our contributions go. They are experts at giving aid, so we let them be the discerning ones in how its distributed. We know for a fact, the money won't go to drugs and its much safer for the giver. We've had some terrible stories of women givers being raped and some murdered.

Our favorite one to support is the battered womens shelter.

• jacquicortez
    jacquicortez

if i have it...i give it...who knows...i feel like robdar i think sometimes a begger is a reminder of our great blessings.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

For some reason I seem to attract the brazen kind that come to my vehicle, sometimes while I have children in there.

They scare the bejeebers out of me! I give them usually enough to go buy a little off the value menu...just enough to get me out of the situation safely. You never know how some people will react.

I've had people ask while I was parking at the hotel. I figured a couple bucks was better than returning to slit tires.

~ Sigh~

I feel the victim of a crime. I hate it.

I've also seen people who I feel a very kind love for. They don't approach people. They try to be independant and work (collecting bottles) for themselves. We had one man we called affectionately "Whell-barrow man". Everyone around town knew him! When his wheel barrow broke, a local hardware store gave him a new one with their logo on it. Free advertisement, but the man needed it. It was part of his daily activities. I miss him. We moved, I hope he is still pushing that around! God bless Wheel Barrow Man. Everyone knew him.

I am more apt to help someone not asking. I think most that I see are con artists.

I will not give to anyone with a sign. He's probably wearing better shoes than me!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It`s BullShit!..

I`ve had tuff times and never resorted to Begging..

I had one guy come up to me on his 10-speed bike and ask for $2.00 for a cup of coffee..

DumbAss!!

LOL!!..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I quickly size them up. Here in Los Angeles, there's crackheads, alcoholics, and the mentally ill walking the streets. The seriously poor/homeless usually get some work help and end up in shelters. The rest walk the streets.

Well the skinny-shit eating grin-talkers are usually crackheads. I give them nothing. The alcohics I buy meals for and the mentally ill I just give a buck.

I feel that my humanity is tested when I see people who need help. And the people I helped have their humanity tested by using their assisted living for good

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

"$30-$50 a day isn't that much money. I don't see how anybody can live comfortably making $30-$50 a day, tax free income or not. "

Here in L.A. the homeless can make hundreds a day in the right spot. I see one guy near a starbucks and people give him at least a few dollars each. A bed for the night is $10 at a shelter and u can clean up in a shower for $5. Some of these guys are "career" homeless. I once hired a salesman who later told me he was a herion addict who pan handled and made enough to have an old apartment downtown and his smack. He said he never really went hungry.

• exjw2814
    exjw2814

Most times I think it's for drugs or alcohol, but you can buy them something to eat, or take them something to eat or drink. They'll love that. It's not how much you give them that matters, it's the principle of it, you helped them out. You do good things like that and I personally beleive good things will happen to you in your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit