Were you a JW that "bend" the rules?

by Mr. Monday Night 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr. Monday Night
    Mr. Monday Night

I knew a few JWs (including some of my family members) who would go clubbing, concerts, play sports ,watch rated R movies and go to party's with "worldy" people. At the same time, managed to live life in the "truth" (such as field service, give talks, hold the mic during the WT study, etc.)

Were you one or knew a JW who was like that. I would love to hear some of the responses!

Ciao,

MMN

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well, I'm here aren't I? lol. And yes, I watch any movie I want. And I go to concerts, but that's not a big deal around here. And I have df'd friends on facebook, and yes I'm on facebook.

It's bad enough that growing up as a Witness there was a lot I couldn't do. But, now, it seems they have started to eliminate the things that used to be JW traditions so to speak. For example, there used to be skating parties. A lot of young ones would meet that way. My brother met his wife that way. But, now, you're not supposed to have large gatherings. But, as far as I know, nothing bad happened. The same on going skiing on Christmas day. You would see pretty much everyone from your circuit there. Not anymore. Same reason. I remember when I was a teenager at the convention all the younger ones met at a special meeting place, the infamous Gate A. Well, they didn't like that either. It really has gotten ridiculous. Now, if one wants to meet new people, it's suggested you sign up for a quick build. No thanks. Ugh!

• Regretful_J
    Regretful_J

I guess you could say I bent the rules from time to time. Things started getting really bad after my baptism and I felt like it was forced on me. The guilt that was put on me at all times pushed me over the edge a few times. I would smoke with some kids in school, and I'd hang out out with D'fed kids because that was my escape from all the cult BS. I would get angry at times because my parents couldn't see the damage that being a JW was doing to us, but because I was born and raised in it they just did what they thought was right and still do. It's hard to put this all down in a way that makes sense but I always saw the hypocrisy in religion and it was long overdue for me to leave when i did. I remember one of the JW kids telling me I was too laid back

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

I watched rated "R" movies.

I uttered an explative every once and a while.

I visited "questionable" websites such as this one.

Just to name a few.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Watched "R" rated movies with my dub friends, hummed Christmas carols very quietly to myself, wore my skirts just a bit too short (this was in the 1960s), dated unbelievers (and eventually married one), and generally shirked as many meetings and as much field service that I could without getting my parents and the elders angry.

I was truly The Most Reluctant Dub In The World.

• blondie
    blondie

I never did something because an elder, the elders, or a CO/DO said to. Even if it was in the publications, I was no dummy and could see that it was not a df'ing offense.

I knew that the ratings for movies varied from country to country, that the ratings were non-jw, there was no jw in charge of it, that some PG-13 movies should really have been R rated; that elders had been told in the US that elders could be removed for watching R-rated movies (but they still did without being removed.

So I pretty much made my own decisions with little repercussions; I knew the bible principles and how to apply them and I was not intimidated. I had grown up in a family of abuse, the oldest child protecting the younger, knowing full well how to "handle" (manipulate) the two adults supposed in charge.

This could be why I stayed too long at the "fair."

• Aboganster
    Aboganster

Lived fast, had fun, watched R rated movies ouside the USA so they weren't R rated! hahahaha

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Nope, never.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

When I was an elder I refused to ask for $0.20 when selling

the Watchtower and Awake. I saw R rated movies, and often

just carried by Bible when going from door to door. I also

made out with my wife at the hall one night when I was

doing some work on counting the literature.

Sour Grapes

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Brother Sour Grapes

I have to declare I am 'stumbled' over that LOL

Oh you are a naughty boy LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit