Do JW's Really Believe That the End is Near?

by Sour Grapes 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yknot
    yknot

....many continued the 1975 endtime feelings.....(until about 1979-80). I was reared that time period and it was probably the last 'sincere' preparation period.

This all said, most in my Hall feel (like all others before them) that current events show 'significant' signs of the end being near..... but at the same time most of that belief is fueled by the circular repetition of message and trained theocratic commentary......

For instance: After the Farm Expansion Video, there was no sarcastic talk among those born before 1965, rather they mused that Jehovah was providing this for possible refuge or for some purpose in the NewSystem upon completion......so the end really IS 'THIS CLOSE'

It is the myth of appointment that persuades normally rational people believe the WTS has any valid commentary on anything.

• undercover
    undercover
    My JW father recently said this: "I cannot see this system lasting even another year."

My in-laws say similar things but then 10 minutes later are talking about their retirement fund or some overseas trip they're planning for next year.

I like Farkel's point about those in pre 75 really believing the end was close. I was just a teenager but I remember the doom and gloom feeling that I had. I know, I know ... we were supposed to be lifting our heads erect because our deliverance was near but personally I was dreading it. Imagine my relief when 75 passed by and it was a complete bust.

But it goes to show how it was ingrained in us to be expecting the end anytime. Even us kids knew something big was up. I bet JW kids today aren't worried about the big A coming anytime soon...their parents don't really believe it so it's not being carried over to their kids.

And that's where the WTS has lost their grip. Too many of the R&F don't really believe in the imminent end of the world. They're no different than most other church going folks who show up for a sermon and then go home...only JWs have to go to more meetings and pretend to be active in the door-to-door work.

• DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

The expectations were alive till the late 80s. This is how I and some friends of mine remember it. After the 1975 scandal the Society had managed to pump it up again with their (last?) big 1914 campaign in the early 80s, incl. the Kingdom Come book and some WT article series, for a while. The Worldwide Security book with its Armageddon scenarios was an overshoot... I remember people in the book study were smiling at it (not me, was I... wonder if this kind of memories depend on the stage you were at?). The strongest expectations faded out after new dimmer light came on the generation teaching and the King of North retired.

• dissed
    dissed

They say it, but do they really mean it? I say no for all the reasons the commenters before me posted.

They do not show it in their lives. Even the Pioneers I find lazy and not willing to make real sacrifices to help people to dedication to the WTS.

They are just punching a clock and going through the motions.

How much productive time do they actually spend in the marketing work?

Prove to me they are not being wasteful. You can't.

How much tme do they actually talk to people? Very little.

Pre 1975 was a different story for sure.

If any today want to Pioneer, its not to save people, but to save themselves, and of course, to judge others. Its the JW way.

Dissed - Member of the former pioneer elite class of 1975

• zero-zero-one
    zero-zero-one

I think there is a definite generational difference in how seriously JW's believe this. I think most do honestly believe that the end is coming at some point.

However, I've had no less than 4 younger ones (all very much active 20 year-olds) tell me within the last year that they don't believe the end is imminent. One Ministerial Servant said that he expects the end of the system to come "before I grow old", but coming from a 25 year-old, that's a pretty long way off. I know that there is definitely a lack of "urgency" in the younger witnesses (under 30), at least in my area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit