Do JW's Really Believe That the End is Near?

by Sour Grapes 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

As I listened to the Brother giving the public talk

Sunday, he mentioned several times how close we

are to the end. If JW's really believed that the end

is a close as they say it is, then why don't they show

this by all pioneering? If this really is a life saving

work, does driving around in a car with 5 people as

they go on return visits make sense? My wife went

out last week for 2 hours with a full car group and

talked to 1 person. If this preaching work is so urgent,

why not every one take their own car and cut down on the

butt time in the car or skip the coffee breaks or how about using

the internet to preach. Maybe they are just pretending

that the end is near in order to stay in the JW Club House.

Sour Grapes

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I find it odd that JWs would do any preaching work at all.... considering the fact that they teach that people who are not "reached" get an automatic free pass to the "paradise on earth".

Every time they talk to someone, and that person shuts the door because they are "not interested", they have been condemned to being destroyed at Armageddon and will be bird food!

If JWs were REALLY interested in saving people, they would AVOID talking to people about the bible! That way the people would at least be able to survive Armageddon and live in the "paradise on earth".

Almost every time they talk to a person, they are KILLING that person! They are bible thumping serial killers!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The end is so near..

Jehovah`s Witness`s can Smell it!

.................... ...OUTLAW

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Elsewhere,

I think that you have got a good point. They actually believe because a householder

turned down an Awake magazine about wild flowers from a pimpley faced teenager

that they deserve eternal death. They are killing people rather than saving them.

Maybe the world should put big signs on their doors "no JW's because I want to live

in Paradise."

Sour Grapes

• dgp
    dgp

I agree with Elsewhere. It would be a lot easier to convert to the WTBTS if we all despicable unbelievers woke up one day in Paradise Earth and saw it was true after all.

• Robert7
    Robert7

I used this argument to convince my wife (successfully!) about how this is a cult. I would say how if this is TRULY the end, why isn't the society doing more than just preaching as it is. Why no radio ads, tv ads, billboards, internet advertisements? Why aren't people selling their assets and pioneering. If LIVES are on the line, then why not more emphasis????

• Robert7
    Robert7

If JWs were REALLY interested in saving people, they would AVOID talking to people about the bible! That way the people would at least be able to survive Armageddon and live in the "paradise on earth"..

Elsewhere! I successfully used this with my wife too! Basically you'd have more success to save people by NOT preaching, because they would be resurrected and given a chance, versus 'marking' everyone to death.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

No, most do not really believe it. How many have 401k's or life insurance? Most all young and middle aged will speak of when they get old or have grandkids in casual conversation. I know an elder whose whole livleyhood depends upon selling financial products that will only pay returns at retirement. The days when the average JW really believed the end was imminent is past. Today it is just a watchword, a rallying cry for a movement that has lost it's mojo.

• agonus
    agonus

I honestly believe that most JW's are so confused anymore they don't even know what they believe. They just do as they're told. Baaa....

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

The older JW's (like the ones in my family) still believe the end is near. Most of them don't have any retirement plans or 401K's. I'm not sure how well they're going to fare in a few more years. Even my mom is counting on the end being near so she doesn't have to work to support herself.

The elders in my old congo are a little younger and they have 401K's and savings. I can't say for sure, but I would suspect that the better off Witlesses actually have retirement plans.

JW's are able to talk out of both sides of their mouth. On the one hand, they unswervingly teach that the end is near. On the other, some set aside money for the future, since they don't know for sure just how near the end is.

I tried researching on the WT CD just how often the WT recommended saving up for retirement and I really couldn't find anything. Has anyone else tried looking? On a shepherding visit, one of the elders tried arguing that saving up for retirement was "a personal decision". My argument was that the WT teaches the end is near, so an average Witless wouldn't even think about saving up. I did find an article or two on the WT CD stressing that even though the Levites "retired" from temple service, this did not mean that the Witlesses would be able to retire from the preaching work. Now that's sick!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit