Do JW's Really Believe That the End is Near?

by Sour Grapes 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

My JW father recently said this: "I cannot see this system lasting even another year."

So, yes, SOME of them really do believe it. They put off needed medical care and they neglect to save money for the future.

MANY, however, are preparing to grow old and die.

• Tristram
    Tristram

My JW father recently said this: "I cannot see this system lasting even another year."

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that over the years...I'd have enough money to retire.

• sir82
    sir82

No they don't really, at the innermost level, believe it.

That's why they spend so much time talking about how close and imminent and near and impending it is. That's all an attempt to convince themselves that it is really going to happen.

Their subconscious minds do this. The implications of it not being close (missed opportunities in life, shunning of close family & friends, the prospect of death) are too painful for the conscious mind to bear, so they "whistle in the graveyard" by commenting about how "it can't go on much longer".

• nugget
    nugget

I always took the view prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I used to believe that my parents wouldn't die and so talk of who would inherit what was pointless. I have pension schemes and although I never expected to benefit from them I was concious that many had lived on small means in their old age as Jehovah's day hadn't come as expected.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Not only do JWs believe it I find many Christians believe the end of this system.(.Except they believe Christ) is coming soon.

Yes I think if your a JW you do believe it is close.
    I knew so many who sold their homes
    didnt get new teeth,gave up their GOOD JOBS ( like me
    because they are really under mind control.
    My daughter ( a JW) is out banging on doors & she is crippled
    so the pain must be excruciting ...Poor souls we should really pray for them all,

• Tea drinker
    Tea drinker

I think that there are two main groups within the Witnesses as far as this belief is concerned.

There are those that don't fully believe it--whilst somehow convincing themselves and others that they do, so as not to appear weak--and are being financially responsible by making sure that they have a decent job, some savings and a pension plan.

On the other hand there are those that do just enough work to tide themselves over as they "work for Jehovah." I am acquainted with a newly married self-righteous pharisee and he is the epitome of the smug, overly-righteous type who truly believes and who has no plans for the future. In fact one of his circle rudely laughed in my face when I said that I was currently working towards a professional career with a good pension scheme. I wonder who will be laughing in forty years time. I try not to think such vindictive thoughts, as the JWs really deserve pity, but they truly do make it difficult for one to be charitable sometimes.

It is truly saddening when contemplating the future of the "true believers" who have been taught that financial irresponsibility is a virtue.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Maybe they are just pretending

that the end is near in order to stay in the JW Club House.

BINGO ... and the elders get to stay in power in god's house

The two prominent psychological suggestions are fear and guilt

and more guilt and fear. This helps in the circulation of the literature and aids

in the financial support to the organization,

so the end is near now proclamation will continue indefinitely .

• zarco
    zarco

The governing body certainly does not believe the end is near. When they go to conventions or to give talks in local kingdom halls they do not mix with people to save them from sudden destruction and they typically do not engage in the field service. Rather they are cloistered from those who need saved and who need spiritual help. The gospel-jesus mixed with those who needed spiritual help. They are so far removed from the work described in the gospels that even suggesting that they are Christ's brother is a joke.

In addition to the personal behaviors of the governing body and its lackeys, the massive building projects, the removal of the bookstudy arrangement, the focus on meeting/assembly attendance rather than saving souls also shows that deep down they do not believe the end is coming.

We have been on vacations with several high ranking witnesses (whatever that means) and there is not preaching, there is not an effort to reach people and save them. It is relaxation to the full.

Bottom line, the current activities of the leaders of the WTS illustrate that they do not believe the end is coming. I am sure there are some local brothers and sisters that do believe but they seem to be a minority. Most local pioneers knock on very few doors. Most local elders do fake witnessing - a little coffee, a little shepherding, a little windshield time - and it seems that only one or two individuals in each congregation really do the best that they can do.

zarco

• zarco
    zarco

Sir82 - nice point. Some witnesses go "all-in" and the cost of admitting that they were duped is too costly to the mind and body. It would result in such emotional pain. Others may say they believe, but it is pretty clear from their actions that somehwere deep down they do not...

Their subconscious minds do this. The implications of it not being close (missed opportunities in life, shunning of close family & friends, the prospect of death) are too painful for the conscious mind to bear, so they "whistle in the graveyard" by commenting about how "it can't go on much longer".
  • Farkel
    Farkel

When I was pioneering in the years before 1975, most of us REALLY believed the end was near.

Today, since the WTS has been screaming the end is near for so many decades, I think most JWs just parrot "the end is so close" as more of a mantra than something they actually think is true.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit