When did the Watchtower start using the term "the truth"?

by asilentone 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• asilentone
  • isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

my guess would be in Rutherford's day.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Yeah, probably around the time the emphasis on the mother organisation took hold that Rutherford initiated. If Russell used the term it would have been in a more general sense as in the whole body of scriptural or Christian 'truth', not in the sense JW's use the term today to idolise their organisation.

• designs
    designs

In reading CTRussell's writings he definitely felt his conclusions were 'true' Light Bulb moments given him by God. But isn't that true of most religions.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The first issue of the Watchtower

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Paul said, "“God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.” (2 Thessalonians 2:13), and this is quoted in the very first issue of Zion's Watch Tower, along with abundant additional uses of the phrase, "the truth."

• blondie
    blondie

August 1879 WT

The truth is revealed in a progressive manner, according to the plan of ages.

July 1880 WT

As the beginning of that change was marked by the coming of Christ from heaven, so the 2300 years above mentioned indicate that Christ was due to leave the most holy place--"heaven itself"--in 1844. Each of these points was marked by a movement of the expectant people in reference to the coming of Christ. As there was a tarrying of thirty years then before the manifestation of His presence, and the real closing work, so in this case His presence and the light on the harvest were not manifested until after thirty years of tarrying.

We speak of His coming or manifestation as Bridegroom and Reaper between the Autumn of 1874 and the Spring of 1878, in the same sense as He was so spoken of during the three years and a half between His baptism and His entry into Jerusalem as King. His coming as Bridegroom was first expected and recognized by the watchers, and His work as Reaper afterward seen. In this case, as in the pattern, His manifestation to the watchers was not a coming from heaven, but a manifestation in his official relationship. In either case there was but one coming from heaven--the most holy--and that coming at thebeginning of the tarrying. The tarrying in either case is the period of time after He had come, before entering upon His work.

We call special attention to this feature of the parallelism, because some are claiming to hold on to the parallelism, and yet ignoring the presence of Christ entirely. The two must stand or fall together. We are not opposing them, but they are opposing us, and we are set for the defense of what we learned with those who are now opposing, and which we still believe to be truth. Those who are opposing the truth as to Christ's presence, make use of the parallelism to prove that Christ will come in 1881, seeming to ignore the fact that if Christ's coming is future there is no parallelism between the endings of the Two Dispensations.

September 1880 WT

The church is confounded with the world, and the true saints are strangers in its society. It is no longer the pillar and ground of the truth, it is the hotbed of heresy, false doctrine, and corruption of every kind. What contrast can be more complete, than that between the church as Christ intended it to be, and the church as it now exists in the world! An end must come to all this!

www.ctrussell.us

• Farkel
    Farkel

Russell wrote and spoke frequently using the terms, "present truth", "past truth" and "future truth." "Truth" for Russell was just as fluid as it is for today's GB idiots.

Farkel

• moshe
    moshe

Well, I know it was a part of the JW's vernacular as early as 1971 when I first set foot inside a KH. Maybe for awhile in 1976, they didn't use the term quite so frequently.

• tinker
    tinker

as long as I can remember, 1955 forward, my mother has referred to herself as 'in the Truth'. I'm 'in the Truth' Is he 'in the Truth? How did you come 'into the Truth? For some reason it always bugged me, even when I was 'in the Truth' full throttle so I NEVER used it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit