When did the Watchtower start using the term "the truth"?

by asilentone 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

Russell wrote and spoke frequently using the terms, "present truth", "past truth" and "future truth." "Truth" for Russell was just as fluid as it is for today's GB idiots.

Indeed. When did truth ever change?

The truth cannot change unless it is actually a lie.

Blessings,

Stephen

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I think asilentone probably means "the truth" in the sense of the JW vernacular, idomatic sense of the expression, as in "when did you come into 'the truth?'" (the organisation/JW religion)

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I just happened across the expression in the "Finished Mystery", volume seven of the studies series. It says "As in apostolic days, believers in Present Truth call themselves "in the "Truth" 2 Peter 1:13"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

"The truth" was the short cut rank and file term in the 1950s and 1960s. Within the family, JWs were not mentioned. They said "the truth." The truth did not mean truth.falsehood but the organization name. I heard it thousands of times. When I was fed up when I was older, I had manu unspoken thoughts about "the truth."

Decades later I was ill and staying with my JW aunt and uncle. Foolishly, I talked about the Witnesses and said "whose truth" proven by whom? My aunt told me she never referred to "the truth." What bunk! I loved her so I started to wonder if I made it up. I was elated to see it here.

• blondie
    blondie

From their beginning...it is a phrase associated with the Bible and Jesus' words. The WTS just feels that truth is only found in their organization at this time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit