The Impact of Being a Jehovah's Witness

by Sour Grapes 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

As I sit here at work and reflect upon my life, I realize

how different my life would be if my mom were not home

when the JW's came a knockin and mom fell for their story.

1. I would not be married to my wife. (marry only a JW)

2. I would not have the children that I now have.

3. I would not have the job that I now have.

4. I would not be living where I am now living.

5. I would not be writing this.

How my whole life would be changed if my mom was not

home on that fatefull Saturday morning when she bought

the Watchtower and Awake for $0.10 each.

Sour Grapes

• exjw2814
    exjw2814

Hey man can't sit around and think about "what if". It is what it is. Live in the present time. That's all the matters. Can't control what you cannot change. I feel the same way sometimes But you gotta roll on and move forward.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

you would never know. - you can say that about anything. go home and watch sliding doors, and dont do a what if, do a what next x

• cantleave
    cantleave

Every decision in life will have changed the course of it to some degree. You can't spend your life thinking what if?

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I am not unhappy with my life but I envy those who had

a normal childhood and celebrated Christmas, and had

birthday parties, and got to sleep in on Saturday mornings

instead of being draged outside to sell Watchtowers and

Awakes.

Sour Grapes

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sour Grapes, I know where you ar ecoming from. I missed out on a normal childhood for this cult too. I am just so determined not to allow that to happen to my kids from now on (even though regret bringing my daughter up as a JW for the first 9 years of her life).

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

cantleave try not to regret it too much, I am sure you instilled good values in your daughter, and she will adapt quite easily now. my kids are 11 and 14, my problem now is not letting them get too out of hand. !

idea for a thread coming up.

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Sourgrapes,

Don't play the "what if" game about the past, that is a depressing and dissatisfying line of thought.

Far better to play the "what if" game about the future, I'll start you off, what if I come and punch you on the nose? will it break or just squelch a bit ,and then bleed ?

See? a far more satisfying intellectual exercise.

only joking.

Love

Wobble

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I for one do not regret being raised a JW.

I had very strict mum and stepfather, was kept out of trouble, never partied. got drunk, did drugs and the girl i married was my first. I just went with the flow. It taught me to respect women, to work hard. It gave me the basic moral tenants that i still live by, even being a probable agnostic i out-christian my JW ex wife every day.

It does no good to look at the ifs and maybe's. IF i was not raised that way, why, i might have got drunk one night and killed some girl in a car accident and ended up a paraplegic addicted to pain killer drugs drinking myself stupid every day. I may have ended up in prison for life. i may have won a nobel peace prize or been a famous artist.

feeling sour that we were raised in the religion is a waste of emotion. I left, i went out and did things i was never allowed to do. I carved out a new life. You can still have xmas, birthdays and sleepins NOW. If you are still in, get out. take charge of your life.

While i am angry that the watchtower corporation is a crock of shit, if not for them i would not be who i am today, i could be a complete arsehole and the wife i now have may never have been attracted to me.

glass half empty or full?

oz

• NvrKssdNObutt
    NvrKssdNObutt

When I became a jw i was well on my way down a path of self-destruction.

If I had not become one at the time I did I would now be either dead or in prison.

So becoming a witless turned my life around and I became a far, far better person.

I just wish I had not invested so many years chained to the witchtower.

I would probably be levitating and teleporting by now if I hadn't wasted so many years in the troof!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit