Christmas & JW objection

by Luo bou to 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

JW's reject Christmas because of its pagan origins. I say so what! It's not what it meant to people in the distant past that matters but what it means to us living today. Does anyone today visit a person's house see a Christmas tree and think OOOH He must be a Pagan. Merry Christmas

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

No examples of anniversary celebrations in the Bible.

Witnesses ignore pagan aspects of typical wedding ceremonies.

Early witnesses (Bible Students) celebrated both Christmas and birthdays.

I think someone just didn't want to decorate a tree on year...

• moshe
    moshe

JW's use a false analogy when they explain why they don't do holidays. When a JW explained to me why they don't celebrate birthdays using the stock WT story about John the Baptist getting his head cut off during a birthday celebration, I stopped her and asked her, " so if this had been a wedding anniversary party you would celebrate anniversaries either? She was speechless on that one.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The objection about Christmas is that people that celebrate Christmas are actually worshiping the sun (and the Devil). I never knew that I was worshiping the sun or the Devil before when I was celebrating Christmas. What I did know is that it was supposed to be a blend of religious celebration (of Jesus' birth) and enjoyment of the material things that one has. It is supposed to be a time of sharing, of giving (voluntarily, not grudgingly), and of enjoying one's bounty--as well as one to think of Jesus' birth.

And, now that the witlesses have told me that it is worshiping the sun and the Devil, I will continue to worship the sun and the Devil. If it is wrong to enjoy one's material things, then it is wrong to enjoy life itself because material things can enhance one's enjoyment (especially when put in its proper place).

• lgadsden
    lgadsden

ignorance is bliss also contagious! i thought this was a site for those that were interested in Jehovah the true God. no?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Who you calling ignorant?

• lgadsden
    lgadsden

the number one reason why JW do not choose to celebrate "christmas" is because the bible does not give the specific date of 12-25 as the birth of christ. so because of the common sense would be that the creator or his son for that matter didnt mean for it to be celebrated. do not cheat yourself by being so shallow. and ignoring what is a fact because it doesnt fit in with your reality or way of life. the bible is NEVER wrong!!!!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think you're the ignorant one.

Romans 14:5-12

" 5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11 It is written:
    " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
    'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will confess to God.' " [a] 12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

Colossians 2:16-23

" 16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18 Do not let anyone gho delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. 19 He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20 Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 21 "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? 22 These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence."

• moshe
    moshe

-The Bible is never wrong? Hmm, how about late for a promise? Actually, there are many differences in the Bible- not talked about by Theologians, but easily found on the web just what the conflicts are. Like the resurrection story of Jesus, or 3 different signs over Jesus when he was executed. But then that leads to a discussion of Biblical inerrancy, which has been done here may times over- do a search for that on this forum, Igadsden

I meant to say JW's wouldn't celebrate anniversaries on my previous post

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    the bible is NEVER wrong!!!!!

That is not the point...Many of us on here would totally agree with that statement, although people are free to differ. The question is simply whether or not the Watchtower Society ha proven itself to be an accurate interpreter of Bible truths?

The question of Christmas is just one thing and there are many others. I hope that you stick around and debate reasonably with us so as to discuss things further..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit