I overheard a nauseating conversation . . .

by 144001 37 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

JW's delude themselves into being different while still trying to be the same...

Which is why so many of us always had a big turkey dinner on the day after Thanksgiving!

• darthfader
    darthfader

Bummer... my parents never thought to "buy me off" with a "Present Day". Maybe if they had, I would still be in the rank and file..

Oh man, I'm glad they didn't.

Darth Fader

• Opus92
    Opus92

How could that woman say JWs celebrate Jesus's birth every day when they don't celebrate anyone's birthday?

I was always told that we celebrated Jesus's death, since that was the whole reason he was important.

• Mary
    Mary
    *** g93 11/22 p. 8 "We Are Not Deprived!" ***As a youth I have never felt bitter about missing the celebrations of worldly holidays. I have not been told by my parents that ‘you can’t do this or that because you’re one of Jehovah’s Witnesses,’ but I have been familiarized with the Bible and Jehovah’s views on these holidays. As for gifts, in our house, gift-giving is all year long."—Ryan, age 17.

Assuming that this is an actual quote from a Witness youth, it certainly does not give an accurate representation of how many Witness youths feel. For myself, as a youth I felt extremely bitter about not being allowed to celebrate the holidays. I remember not being allowed to participate in gift (or even card) exchanges with my classmates, and I was forbidden to participate in being a bell-ringer (for Xmas) and was forced to tell my music teacher that I couldn't particpate. I remember walking downtown at Christmas time when it was getting dark out, and all the decorations outside the stores and the Christmas music playing and seeing the others kids go carolling, had a huge negative impact on me. I felt like I was all alone in the world, forbidden to participate in anything that was fun. I didn't care about the presents---I just wanted to feel like part of the human race for once, instead of feeling like a freak.

The quote from the above Asleep! magazine is an absolute crock. Witness youths most certainly ARE told by their parents that "you can't do this or that because you're one of Jehovah's Witnesses" because if they weren't, the kids would be celebrating the holidays along with everyone else. It's the threat of being disfellowshipped that prevents most Witness youths from celebrating---that's the bottom line. And I don't know any Witness parents where they give gifts to their kids "all year long". That's just another bullshit excuse to try and make it seem that JW's are "normal".

Too bad Rutherfraud wasn't still alive. I'd send the bastard a lump of coal for Xmas this year.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Oh, yeah.

WTWizard:

They can say that all they want about children getting gifts all year. And it is bulls***. Most witless children rarely get any gifts from their parents.

We were always instructed to tell people that we got gifts all through the year, but it was a load of crap. We usually got some presents from our (non-JW) relatives either right before or right after Christmas, but our toys were usually hand-me-downs from older JW kids (who'd managed to wreck 'em already). "Gifts" from our parents were usually new clothes for assemblies! Oh, gee, just what I wanted: more unfashionable clothing.

*** g93 11/22 p. 8 "We Are Not Deprived!" ***As a youth I have never felt bitter about missing the celebrations of worldly holidays. I have not been told by my parents that ‘you can’t do this or that because you’re one of Jehovah’s Witnesses,’ but I have been familiarized with the Bible and Jehovah’s views on these holidays. As for gifts, in our house, gift-giving is all year long."—Ryan, age 17.

Yeah, I don't believe for a minute that he wasn't "told" that by his parents. Mine certainly told me that we couldn't do stuff because we were JWs. Yes, they usually offered an explanation if they had time, but mostly it was just "No, we can't. We're in the Truth. That's what worldly people do."

• meangirl
    meangirl

It's so sad that so many of you never received presents growing up as witnesses. I asked my husband if he received presents growing up as a witness and he said he did. He does not seem to have any bitterness over that part of it all. I am so glad I was conscious of the need for children to be children and made sure my daughter had parties and got gifts, etc. Her first party was when she was 2 (and only a week before her birthday) We did the Disney princess theme and invited all the little girls over from the KH and they all had such a good time. Her next party was a dress up party and all the kids dressed up as anything they wanted. I did this at the end of the year. Then from that point on I was known as the party planner in the hall and all the kids used to come up to me and say "when are we going to have another party?" Amazingly I never got in trouble for it and now looking back I am quite surprised because that KH is VERY conservative...... If only those morons up in NY realized what a negative impact the lifestyle they force upon the witnesses was but maybe they do and just don't care......

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

My mom always used to tell neighbors that we do not need

excuses or reasons to give gifts in nice packages. The only problem

is that as a child I never rememer receiving any of these from mom.

Sour Grapes

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

You people are too cheap to celebrate anything, except the financial success of the cult that enslaves your mind."

The conversation starts like a standard witnessing chat, the JW girl speaks to that person on an informal mode and the latter says that she sees nothing wrong in celebrating Xmas, as if she were an average wordly person. Now, the tone changes altogether in the second part of the conversation, the witnessed person reveals herself very sharp and insightful. It is obvious that she is very well acquainted with the JW world and well advanced in awareness about the WTS's tricks, just like an apostate would do. Somehow, the two parts of the conversation don't match with each other.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

lol. robots. my sister posted on yahoo answers today, for a wind up. they bit... with robotic answers. humbug.

im bugged coz I cant find it now.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

144001, you have bigger than I could ever dream of having. Bravo 144001. BRAVO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit