Last Nights Mtg. "Demonstrate Personal Interest" (New Bible Students Beware)

by WalkTall 24 Replies latest jw friends

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

Sometimes it just hits you how cold and unfeeling this religious corporation is.

Last night there was a part in the Kingdom Ministry about helping new Bible studies. In one paragraph it mentioned how the new student might cut ties with former associates because they are not living by Bible principles. It says that their families might disown them. So what did it say the Witnesses are to do to help this person? They should "help fill the emotional void by demonstrating a warm personal interest".

How fake and phony does that sound? We are talking about someone's life being turned upside down. They are losing all they've ever known, their family and friends. But should we become a loyal, trusted friend? Should we FEEL compassion? No, we are DEMONSTRATE personal interest! A demonstration is a public display. I might demonstrate interest in my butcher's life while he's cutting my meat, but that doesn't mean I really care.

If anyone is studying with the Witnesses right now and reading this, I implore you to think twice before giving up your life. If you are lonely, there are other places to find true friends, people who will really care about you, for you, not because you are becoming what they want you to be. Many of the Witnesses are good people, but they are trained to be detached. Their emotional allegiance is reserved for the organization. The 'emotional void' created by becoming a JW will never be filled inside a Kingdom Hall.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I agree entirely with that. I often thought that as a witness I had to find common ground and build report - which is exactly what I have been trained to do in a sales call where I am trying extract a contract from someone I am never going to really build a friendship with.

• Walkin
    Walkin

I remember the canned phraze, "We miss you, We love you." when you miss a couple of meetings. Really they were saying: " You shouldn't be missing the meetings, the field service, the contributions, etc.

Walkin

• dgp
    dgp

I understand that psychologists agree that loving is more about giving than receiving. Loving, I understand, is an ability the selfish don't have. It seems they can only love themselves, but the truth is are selfish because they have to compensate for their lack of self-love. And then, being able to love means you can love everyone, regardless of race, size, et cetera. It is sad that, under this arrangement of the WTBTS, both the witnesses and the study can't really feel or give love. Both are forced to live in a loveless vacuum.

If you're a witness, then, think whether you want to freely love, or whether you just want to fake interest.

Walk Tall, I have a personal reason to thank you. I hope other people will notice the post and think about it, too.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, I liked how in the example they gave of "practical help", they recommended "visit him when he is sick".

OK, so he is encouraged to cut off all ties with every friend he's ever known, to quit his job if it is "objectionable", to quit celebrating birthdays & holidays with his family....but let's wait until he's sick to do anything for him?

Typical JW thought process. Just like they are so proud of all the "disaster relief" work they do. Um, hello? How about the 99.9% of the time when no disaster has occurred? Ever think about joining th ehuman family and providing practical assistance during those times?

Why wait until conditions are desperate to do good deeds?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Eloquently written. I never saw it that way before.

Everything to the JWs is a demonstration

• marcopolo
    marcopolo

Marcketing pureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

propagant

• Robert7
    Robert7

It's sad and scary how well they position their cult behavior. I fell for it. We all fell for it. Fortunately most of my non-JW friends still welcomed me back when I left the cult.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

You are right on the money a "demonstration" is a public display and means nothing at all! How about showing real personal interest and love for this person. Or even better, how about the WT not get involved in isolating people from their true friends and family to begin with???

• Tristram
    Tristram

"Not living by Bible principles..." = "Not doing what the WTBS says"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit