I just feel like crying... I'm so fed up of the hypocrisy!

by cattails 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

This article was a classic 'bait and switch.'

The theme Scripture was John 15:14 - 'You are my friends if you do what I'm commanding you' and the question (bait) was, 'How can we be Jesus' friends?' The obvious answer the reader is waiting for is, 'by doing what Jesus commanded, and the things he commanded were ... xyz.'

A long preamble follows about how Jesus showed himself to be a good friend to people. OK, no problem with that ... until paragraph 14, where the 'switch' occurs. One of the ways we can be Jesus' friends is to 'obey the FDS,' in other words, 'to do what the FDS commands'! The problem is Jesus, of course, never commanded us to obey the FDS.

Then the distorted application of Matt. 25 where showing kindness to Jesus' brothers in their time of dire need, when they were hungry, thirsty, naked or in prison, was somehow used to promote supporting them by preaching, donating and submitting to the elders' leadership!

And what about the greatest of Jesus' commands? Neither John 13:35 nor John 15:12 (which was the whole basis for Jesus words in the article's theme Scripture, John 15:14) figured at all!

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

This is a beautiful passage where Jesus says his followers need to be hospitable, care for sick, hungry and imprisoned brothers.

They turn it around and say that for JW's this means they need to support the "faithful and discreet slave" by going in door-to-door witnessing, making monetary contributions to support the worldwide witnessing work, and following the directions and counsel of congregation elders.

Yes.....The Faithful Slave ! Another case of ignoring the plain and simple words of Jesus. Isnt there a scripture that says that a 'Slave' is not greater than his 'Master'?

As far as the WT is concerned....the Master is definitely not greater than the FD 'Slave'.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Just read Doubting Bro's post, which prompted me to re-read the account in Matt. 25:31-46 about the sheep and goats. I never noticed that, as Doubting Bro pointed out, verse 32 clearly discusses separating all the nations into either right-side (good) or left-side (bad). Then, in verse 34, the king says to those on his right that they would inherit the kingdom. Pretty standard stuff, right?

But where do the JW "earthly-hope" class fit into this? It looks like there are two classes here: (1) the sheep, who "inherit the kingdom"; and (2) the goats, who get killed. I don't see anything about a third class that is superior or inferior to the sheep class. And doesn't "inheriting the kingdom" mean that they go to heaven and rule? If someone told me that I was inheriting the kingdom of England, I would understand that to mean that I was going to be king--not that I was going to be one of 50 million or so subjects of the Crown.

I'm sure the WTS has some kind of tortured explanation for this, but I can see how you can read this parable and come away thinking that all good people go to heaven.

• Perry
    Perry
    I can't stand it any longer! I really can't. But if I voice anything like this I'm out on my rear, and with only a part-time job for the foreseeable future I just don't know how to go on. I really don't.

Don't you think that Jesus sees you as imprisoned? Don't you think that he would take his own advice and care for you? Your fore-seeable future is very limited, his is total. Jesus is the all-knowing "I am". Put you trust in him and be true to yourself. There is no other way to proceed and keep your dignity and sanity, IMO.

There is also nothing (except your fear) from stopping you from voicing your concerns especially if they are done in a spirit of kindness.

Albert Einstein:

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Just hang in there. Go to meetings can be dangerous to your health.

Sour Grapes

• Perry
    Perry
    But where do the JW "earthly-hope" class fit into this? It looks like there are two classes here: (1) the sheep, who "inherit the kingdom"; and (2) the goats, who get killed. I don't see anything about a third class that is superior or inferior to the sheep class. And doesn't "inheriting the kingdom" mean that they go to heaven and rule? If someone told me that I was inheriting the kingdom of England, I would understand that to mean that I was going to be king--not that I was going to be one of 50 million or so subjects of the Crown.

Olin,

That scripture is talking about when Jesus returns with his bride (all New Testament Christians) at the battle of Armageddon. This is simply a military battle and not the fictional WT depiction of the destruction of all humans. At this time, the rapture has already taken place, and the Gentile Times have ended. Jesus now turns his attention back to his OT promises and covenants toward the nation of Israel.

All nations will side with the Anti-Christ and try to destroy Israel. Jesus quickly dispatches this force of millions of soldiers with a simple word from his mouth.

THEN,

He sits down on the throne of David his father and deals with the civilians:

Luke 19: 27 - But those mine enemies , which would not that I should reign over them , bring hither , and slay them before me .

Only the most hardened of people who lived through the Great Tribulation and saw the various genocides of the Anti-Christ could still be opposed to Jesus the King. But, there will be some.

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

Could you put the Watchtower article or the date of the Watchtower? It is hard to do research without the article. I'm sure you are right about what the article says, but it is good to have it in hand as proof and not just use hearsay when debating with someone. I am in a mission of collecting every single controversial article out there, so when someone decides to visit me and asking me why I don't go to the KH anymore I can have some backup.

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

Cattails, I don't know how much comfort it is to know that there are many, many others like you. They might even be in your own congregation. I have no factual evidence except my own general feelings, but I think the conscious class (those like you and me trapped inside but who know the truth about the truth) is growing. But they have their own set of fears and reasons to remain silent, just like you. I can't tell you how many times I have left the KH and felt like bashing my head against the wall just to clear my head of all the garbage I had to listen to. The physical pain would have been a relief. So, if it helps, think of me and others like me who are sitting there too, just as nauseous as you are.

• cattails
    cattails
    Could you put the Watchtower article or the date of the Watchtower?

Hi Cindi, it's from the Watchtower (Study Edition) of October 15, 2009

the study article is entitled “You Are My Friends”

(for study during the week of December 14-20, 2009).

And thanks all for the encouragement and advice.

Cattails

• oppostate
    oppostate

Hang in there Cat.

I hope things get better for ya soon.

Keep seeking those that care about you and want what's best for you.

It's not selfish, it's fleeing from the mental and emotional abuse that will help you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit