Does The Name "Jehovah" Bother You?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• dudeson
    dudeson

If it's acceptable to use a form of YHWH that is incorrect but God accepts it becuase he knows you are referring to him, then why would it matter what religion you choose as long as your worship is directed towards him? or her.... or whatever pasta that lives in the sky...

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

It doesn't bother me.

Like wobble, when I was in I was "Jehovah" sensitive, when hearing it used outside of the Kingdom Hall.

Now I'm more bothered when people write CHRISTmas, ..I'm like, come on..., really..really. You're really going there.

lisa

• minimus
    minimus

Jesus was never recorded saying "Jehovah" or "Yahweh".

• dudeson
    dudeson

Jesus never saying it bothered me as I never heard a valid reason why.

• minimus
    minimus

He said it. Those that hated God's name made sure it was not put in.

• Earnest
    Earnest

He did say lots about God's name though (e.g. Hallowed be thy name). While it is quite true that the expression "name" goes far beyond the actual, literal name it does seem absurd that he laid such emphasis on the name without ever using it himself.

• minimus
    minimus

It seems equally absurd that not one statement was ever made with "Jehovah" in the NT. You'd think Christ would repeat his Father's name if it were so important. There's no evidence Jesus said the Divine Name specifically.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I don't mind the term Jehovah but prefer to use the term "bible Deity" as God can mean so many different things to people.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

sigh

Jehovah is a demon or demi-god (not sure I understand the difference) from a far older mythology.

So, I don't mind using that name like I don't mind using the name Thor or Zeus or Cyclops or Medusa et al.

• Earnest
    Earnest

There's no evidence that Jesus said the name Mary (referring to his mother) specifically. Or Joseph. Or James. Jesus did not need to emphasise God's name to the nation of Israel. They could read it in their scriptures thousands of times. The message of the good news that the gospels record is about the coming kingdom, not about God's name (which they already knew). But, apart from the Pater Noster there is plenty of other evidence of the use of the name.

John 5:43 "I have come in the name of my Father..."

John 10:25 "...The works that I am doing in the name of my Father..."

John 12:28 "Father, glorify your name..."

John 17:6 "I [i.e. Jesus] have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world..."

John 17:11 "...Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name..."

John 17:12 "...I used to watch over them on account of your own name..."

John 17:26 "And I have made your name known to them..."

Do you really think he said all this and didn't use the name?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit