Do You Accept ALL Of The Bible As Being 100% Truth?

by minimus 64 Replies latest jw friends

• superpunk
    superpunk

They address it without bringing it up. DJSM

*** it-2 p. 425 Molten Sea (Copper Sea) ***
    Circumference. The circumference of 30 cubits is evidently a round figure, for more precisely it would be 31.4 cubits. In this regard, Christopher Wordsworth quotes a certain Rennie as making this interesting observation: “Up to the time of Archimedes [third century B.C.E.], the circumference of a circle was always measured in straight lines by the radius; and Hiram would naturally describe the sea as thirty cubits round, measuring it, as was then invariably the practice, by its radius, or semi-diameter, of five cubits, which being applied six times round the perimeter, or ‘brim,’ would give the thirty cubits stated. There was evidently no intention in the passage but to give the dimensions of the Sea, in the usual language that every one would understand, measuring the circumference in the way in which all skilled workers, like Hiram, did measure circles at that time. He, of course, must however have known perfectly well, that as the polygonal hexagon thus inscribed by the radius was thirty cubits, the actual curved circumference would be somewhat more.” (Notes on the King James Version, London, 1887) Thus, it appears that the ratio of three to one (that is, the circumference being three times the diameter) was a customary way of stating matters, intended to be understood as only approximate.

• DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

Thanks, superpunk. The wt society says "the bible is not a science textbook but it is correct in what it says about nature." Here it is not. Here the bible is absolutely wrong.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Minimus,

I really do not want to get into specifics because I can see this going in another direction entirely and that is to rehash the same old God debate all over again. And frankly, I am getting rather tired of these. Perhaps sometime in the future, we can have this discussion off the forum if you want to. Just pm me and I will send you my email and other information.

But I will say this and that is the bible is filled with parables, metaphors and allegories and these do not negate God's overall message which is the reconciliation of the world through his son Jesus Christ. The entire bible from the OT to the NT is all about Jesus. He is the way that God, from the founding of the world, decided to reconcile everything to himself.

No amount of bible understanding or interpretation will take away from this fact, so it really is just an intellectual excercise anyway. Peace, Lilly

• minimus
    minimus

Lilly, I asked for specifics because I don't think you can pick and choose the parts of the Bible you might agree with. A parable is just that. But some say they accept the entire Bible as truth yet will say that the creation account is not realistic or that miracles might not really been miracles, etc.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It's not even good alegorical teaching is it? Jacob chased whores. David impregnated other men's wives. Jesus focused on making wine instead of the serious problems on the earth. Lot's daughters played whores with daddy, and daddy was drunk at the time. Samson went around slaughtering men and cutting off thier privates in order to impress women. Of course all these people were blessed by Yahweh as 'faithful'. And Jesus and his blind friend Paul pointed to many of them as 'examples in faith'.

On and on.

Jeff

• minimus
  • lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Maybe if I put it this way it would make more sense;

I accept the entire bible as truth but within this acceptance I also accept the parts of the bible that are allegories as such, the parts that are metaphors as such, the parts that are prophecies as such, do you see where I am going?

Not all of the Bible was meant to have a narrow, literalist interpretation.

But the realization that some stories in the bible may not have actually happened in the way my parents or church taught me they did has no bearing on my faith as a Chrisitan at all. And that is because my faith hinges on one person alone, Jesus Christ. And the metaphors, allegories and other stories do not detract from the bible's overall message where it concerns the Christ.

To get into specifics here will just open me up to attack and also be way too time consuming as I have to go to work soon. But really, we can perhaps speak more off the forum for that, if you really would like to disuss this topic?

I think everyone that comes out of an organization like the WT, if that were his/her only christian experience should take a good basic bible interpretation class. It may be helpful in answering Q's raised like this one. Peace, Lilly

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Reconciliation of the world through Christ. The world has to be reconciled because it is full of sin, which can be traced all the way back to Adam and Eve who committed the first sin by doing something evil, which was doing something God told them not to do. But they didn't know the difference between good and evil so maybe they didn't know they were sinning by doing what God told them not to do. But ignorance is no excuse.

So really this whole redemption thing and all the people suffering and getting killed by others or getting killed because God let them die could have been avoided if God had just let them eat the fruit before he told them what not to do? Since he didn't do it that way, God had to send another man (which was born from an "imperfect" woman) to come get nailed up to some wood to "pay" for everyone else's bad thoughts and deeds so he wouldn't have to let mankind die from wars or famine or from old age? But that man wasn't really just a man like Adam, but a man created partially from an Angel? Is that an overpayment? Do we get a credit? Who keeps the balance sheet on this anyway and since when does God have to do anything to maintain the "balance"?

The lessons are real, but anecdotes are anecdotes and attempts to turn them into real facts always seem to lead to more judgement, entitlement, and misery.

The truth is according to popular Christian belief, Gods grand plan was screwed up by his own creations and in order to satisfy some sense of justice no one can clearly outline, forced and is forcing the rest of his creations to suffer for thousands of years as he goes back and forth with something else he created (Satan) about which of us is going to live after God does the most killing he's done since he started with killing the original First Couple. Oh, and Jesus is involved too because he's had to die a couple of times, too.

Makes total sense.

WLG

• minimus
    minimus

I pretty much have expressed my views on this site. Off site would be no different. If your position actually is weak, then I can understand how attacks might occur. Lil, you seem to be quite a nice lady, I wouldn't attack you but I will say that your comments do not really explain much to me in regard to some specifics. Oh well.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

The BibleThe Lord of the RingsThe Real World
    Talking Plants/AnimalsYesYesNo Evidence
    MagicYesYesNo Evidence
    Souls/SpiritsYesYesNo Evidence
    Fortelling the FutureYesYesNot in a reliable
    way.
    DemonsYesYesNo Evidence
    DragonsYesYesNo Evidence
    GiantsYesYesNo Evidence
    CursesYesYesNo Evidence
    PossessionYesYesNo Evidence
    MessageNegative. You were born
    a sinner. You deserve to die.
    Maybe God will 'fix' you.

Positive. There are good people
    and good things in the world.
    They are worth protecting.

N/A

Accurate knowledge on how
    both complex and simple things work

NoNoYes, and getting better
    all the time, thanks to
    science.

So in regards to the original question... absolutely not. My pattern matching skills do work.

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit