Why are baby showers acceptable and not birthdays

by insearchoftruth 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not withstanding Blondie's facts from the WTS, practice among the ranks is to celebrate weddings and births. They are so desirous of celebrating because their fun is taken away on most everything else.

Isaacaustin has it right. JW's at a shower support each other's beliefs and talk about how wonderful Jehovah is. Showers bring JW's together.
    But holidays and birthdays cause classmates or workmates to celebrate. WTS wants the average dubbie or child-of-dubbie to feel uncomfortable at a "worldly" celebration. Can you imagine the fright and conflict in a child when some classmate's mother brings cupcakes to school for Little Joanie's birthday? That's what WTS wants.

• blondie
    blondie

Oh, I didn't say they couldn't have showers....just that some of the joy is taken away. I can remember when jws would not even sign the card when they gave a gift so that the recipient couldn't even know.

• Tristram
    Tristram

Because there is no story in the bible about people being beheaded at birthday showers!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I promise that if anyone is beheaded at any celebration of any type that I attend, we will stop that celebration.

• Tristram
    Tristram

Apologies to TYA, he beat me to the joke.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

So a JW shower would be JWs only, none of the worldly friends?

• blondie
    blondie

It would depend ISOT. Some jws would be strict and say that non-jws would be bad association pointing to bad language, smoking, living in sin, etc.

*** km 6/89 pp. 1-2 pars. 5-6 Enjoying Theocratic Association ***One cannot walk with God while running in association with those of the wicked and sick society that approves of everything that God abhors. The Bible warns: "Bad associations spoil useful habits." (1 Cor. 15:33) Some in the congregation may be inclined to invite worldly acquaintances and unbelieving relatives who have no interest in the truth to social gatherings, thinking that this will encourage them to accept the truth. However, is this wise and in harmony with the Scriptures?

We have been counseled to be cautious in our dealings with men of the nations, unbelievers, and ordinary persons. (See the November 15, 1988, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 15-16.) Why should we have unnecessary social contact with people who still pursue worldly ways and who have not become worshipers of Jehovah? (2 Cor. 6:14, 15) Some who are negligent spiritually may seek out others who also hold on to worldly thinking and ways instead of seeking association with mature Christians who could help them become strong in the faith. They fail to appreciate that attendance at social gatherings with worldly, unprincipled people can weaken their faith and corrupt them.—Compare 2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15.
  • beksbks
    beksbks

Tristram and Tenyearsafter!!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Actually Birthdays are Acceptable..

Every JW I know..

Celebrates when thier baby is born..

It`s the Anniversary of the Birth that is considered Bad..

Hammer HeadJW`s celebrate other Anniversarys,but not Birth Anniversarys..Hammer Head

Because..

The WBT$ SAY`S SO!!..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Because..

The WBT$ SAY`S SO!!..

That is the driving factor of everything!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit