As A Witness, Were You Intrigued By Prophecy?

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• wantingtruth
    wantingtruth

In the book of Daniel,"The March Of The World Powers" got me good. I did the public talk on that one, the head of gold representated such and such etc. Down to the toes where we are supposed to be right now!

Walkin
    ##################

Could you think that that prophecy is exactly about the WTS- its history ?

"The head of the statue was made of pure gold" >> points to Russell's period

"its chest and arms of silver" >> points to Rutherford's period

"its belly and thighs of bronze" >> points to Knorr's period

"its legs of iron" >> points to Franz and Henschel period

" its feet partly of iron and partly of baked clay." >> points to the present period

41. Just as you saw that the feet and toes were partly of baked clay and partly of iron, so this will be a divided kingdom; yet it will have some of the strength of iron in it, even as you saw iron mixed with clay.

42. As the toes were partly iron and partly clay, so this kingdom will be partly strong and partly brittle.

43. And just as you saw the iron mixed with baked clay, so the people will be a mixture and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes with clay.

44. "In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it will itself endure forever.

45. This is the meaning of the vision of the rock cut out of a mountain, but not by human hands - a rock that broke the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold to pieces.
    "The great God has shown the king what will take place in the future. The dream is true and the interpretation is trustworthy."

"the rock cut out of a mountain" >> points exactly to the "people of the saints of the Most High" (Dan 7:21-27)

the rock has been cut out already of the mountain,
    and it is strucking/crushing the feet of this statue

the complete destruction/crushing of it will be within a few years

let him who has years, listen !

wantingtruth

• wantingtruth
  • Walkin
    Walkin

What I want to know is,who was the one that actually dreamed up that stuff and wrote it down? Of course, now I know that it's all fiction.

Walkin

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

No, when I was about 10, we studied the Revelation book. I thought it was going to be as exciting as its title implied. When we got to the parts about some stupid convention, or some dumb guy saying something - being the fulfillment of prophecy, I was done.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    As A Witness, Were You Intrigued By Prophecy?

Yes.

• ziddina
    ziddina

No. Definitely not... Even as a child, that emphasis on the prophecies of 'Daniel' irritated me - it always felt like they were grasping at straws. And the WTBTS got so nit-picky about every little detail of each 'prophetic' verse - and the weird spins they put on it! When I was a kid, Russia was the "King of the North" and the good ol' U.S.A. was the "King of the South" - if I understand the WTBTS' flip-flops correctly, NOW they claim a different 'twosome' as Kings of the North/South...??

Minimus - your comment, "Then you get an admonition in the Watchtower and at Conventions not to "speculate". The next Watchtower article would itself contain further speculation.... They're no better than Nostradamus...."

Very, very, embarassingly [for them...] true. That was especially flagrant during the pre-1975 hysteria... Zid
    jk

• minimus
    minimus

I HATED the Daniel books!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I liked the Daniel books as well as the "Mans Salvation" book. They were wacked but entertaining enough to keep me awake.

W

• ziddina
    ziddina

LOL, Finally-Free!!! Zid

• blondie
    blondie

No...and I went through the Babylon the Great book and all the books after that which were "prophetical." I hated explaining 1914 although I knew the WTS spiel. And I definitely was not in the flock when it came to 1975, that the bible said it would not come at the time you thought it to be, and that no one knew how much time was between Adam's creation (the beginning of 6,000 years of human history) and Eve's (the end of the 6th creative day). I always wondered what the 1st century Christians thought about when the end would come, in their lifetime; did they expect a future fulfillment 2,000 years in the future?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit