Advice in dealing with family

by dbm 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Teach Your Child How to Think

Go down to the library right now, get this book out, and start teaching your kid how to think. Today. Not tomorrow. Not after he is a fully fledged cult member. Now. It will help you too.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Chris

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Cantleave: Personally I would not allow my kids to have an extended stay with my JW relatives, because they will preach, they will attend mettings and they won't let up.

I tend to agree with that comment above for little kids, but I think 10 is old enough to try what Nugget suggests.

I would be a bit stronger about how you chose not to be a JW anymore. Not much stronger, but strong enough. As time goes on, you can tell him more and more about WTS.

It would be difficult, your child might blow your secret, but I think it's worth a try. If it blows up in your face, then I would fall back on what Cantleave says.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If you're serious about leaving the JWs you must know that they (the organization) will try to turn your son against you over time. If he becomes a JW he may eventually shun you, or at least be pressured to shun you.

Dad has been an elder since age 18,

I've never heard of anyone ever being a ministerial servant at 18, let alone an elder. Are you sure he's being truthful about that?

W

• dbm
    dbm

To Finally-Free: Yes, my dad is being truthful. Things were a lot different then, he's 60 yrs old now. Men were elders much younger then compared to how things are now. I know he would not lie about something like that. My point with that was just how serious they are about the religion and how long they've been part of it to show how hard they will take this.

Also, I am not going to try to keep this a secret forever, I just haven't talked to my parents yet as it is very hard to do given their backgrounds. I don't want my son to have that stress of thinking he has to keep quiet about what we are or are not doing as a family. We live 1000 miles away from them right now so it's not something that I've had to deal with yet, but I know it's coming soon after he visits with them.

Thanks for all the comments, there has been a lot of helpful info, especially in how to talk with your children.

• hecouldbewrong
    hecouldbewrong

Pick a side, stick with it, and be straightforward and open about it to everyone. Being half jehovah's witness is a great way to mindfuck a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit