Dead Relatives and the Resurrection. Why the need to See Dead People?

by VIII 25 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

Minimus started a thread asking why the Resurrection was comforting. I said I would start a new thread to get more responses to *My Question*:

Why do so many people want to see dead relatives? I'm curious.

Seriously. Why is seeing someone who was old, ill, etc., so all consuming to JWs and, apparently, some Ex-JWs?

As I noted in my response on Minimus thread, I honestly don't want to see *any* of my dead relatives. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I have accepted that they are D-E-A-D and aren't coming back. I am not going to heaven and I am not ever going to see them again. For that, I am happy.

So, why is this such an all consuming issue with this Cult? Why is thinking that you'll hug Grumpy, Smelly Grampy so appealing?

Also, when I have mentioned to my Mom that I would guess that Uncle P is probably not going to get Resurrected because he knew all about the JWs and his attitude was "The Witnesses are a bunch of F-ing idiots. They destroyed our family." He would go on and on about them. He hated them.

Her response? "Only Jehovah knows what's in his heart". Ummm, yeah. He was a creep in many other ways, I won't go into, and never bathed and--oh, never mind. I KNOW God would have a big laugh if Uncle P showed up at the Pearly Gates asking for a Resurrection card. He'd laugh so hard, he'd piss. Then tell him to get down to Purgatory for, oh, about 10,000 years. Then try again.

Please explain. Someone. Anyone.

Why do you want to see someone who did all kinds of bad shit in their life, (shit you probably don't know about) and think God is going to go, "Yeah, a second chance to be perfect and f-up again. Sure. Why not. I never fixed AIDS or Poverty or Clean Water, but, what the heck. I'll give you a second chance to screw up for 1000 years on Paradise earth. Try not to mess it up this time."

I'm serious.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It would be cool if we could pick who we see again and who we don't have to see again. But all of them? Every single dead person? That's a valid question. I have no good answer for it. I can count on my fingers and toes the total number of people who are dead that I'd like to see again.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Haven't we learned that it's not about us?

The Almighty is in charge.

Sylvia

• minimus
    minimus

No one wants to see them dead. They want to see them alive and full of vitality!

• VIII
    VIII

From what I recall learning (long time ago) and what my Mom has said, everyone before about 1900 will get resurrected because they never heard Jehovah's word. (gag on that).

She selectively picks from her friends and family who she believes will get brought back. Of course. I have pointed out, using her logic, who I think will, and she is horrified that *that person* might be. Though she has to acknowledge that it is possible and resorts to "I don't know what's in Jehovah's heart."

Huh? Jehovah has to think about this? This isn't tattoo'd on your forehead at death for the angels to go around and tap your shoulder?

Sylvia said:

Haven't we learned that it's not about us?
    The Almighty is in charge.

Which brings me back to believing in the Resurrection to begin with. You have to believe that Paradise is/was actually going to happen on earth and that God is actually going to bring back billions of people. People that did all kinds of *stuff*, good and bad, simply because they didn't know about *the truth* before. (Isn't that what the JWs preach?)

So, along that line, and with Minimus' question, how can you believe in the Resurrection and not Paradise, etc? If you do, why? Why is that/ was that such a happy thought? Why was seeing those old, dead relatives so attractive? (not too many of us had young, productive members of our families die, note "not too many")

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

No one wants to see them dead. They want to see them alive and full of vitality!

I`m just fine,with some of them Dead..

It`s a Frigg`n Relief..

I`ve got a few more on my Wish List..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• VIII
    VIII

Aren't they supposed to come back (resurrected) like they were? Meaning old, etc. And then, over time, get young and healthy again? So they turn perfect like everyone else? (I'm going off memory here, it's been years since I was in a KH and had to think about this stuff, sorry)

So you can recognize them? How would you recognize Aunt Betsy if she looked like it was 1950 and she died in 2005 and was 75 lbs overweight?

• VIII
    VIII

That's my point Outlaw! I don't want to spend forever with some of them; that would be hell, not paradise.

But, not being God, and not knowing what's in *His* heart (cough), I am going to work off the theory that none of them are coming back. And I'm happy with that. Relieved in fact.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

IN pictures of welcoming dead ones back they are usually viewed as young or at least healthy.

Due to this belief JWs do not mourn their dead. They have simply gone to sleep for a while. So it would seem natural to simply welcome them home as if they had been on a trip somewhere.

The whole idea is wishful and magical thinking; the kind of magical thinking that children exhibit before they know better. Mind control keeps people thinking and feeling like children so it should be no great surprise they do just that when it comes to the issue of death

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, I doubt they'd be depicted as infirm or old looking. Think of Benjamin Button.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit