Did any of you study the WT lesson throughly without ANY underlining?

by asilentone 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• sinis
    sinis

Shit, half the ones I saw in my cong where underlined using a RULER!!! Talk about anal...

• JAFO
    JAFO

When they started to insist that you answer only from the paragraph, that's when I stopped raising my hand, it was just so demeaning and insulting to our intelligence.

WTF?!?! When did that shit start?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I never studied the watchtoer after about the age of 22. I could answer on whim and still have people come up to me and that was great comment. Mind you I could do the same if I forgot to prepare a talk. At the end of the day if you were brought up as a JW how repition of the same old crap did you hear?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

When they started to insist that you answer only from the paragraph, that's when I stopped raising my hand, it was just so demeaning and insulting to our intelligence.

WTF?!?! When did that shit start?

They use to encourage you to eloborate and put thought into your answers.

Then sometime in the 80's they began insisting that you answer only from the paragraph, they only wanted you to parrot.

• tinker
    tinker

my daughter was DF in her teens and one of the requirerments to be reinstated was that she have her WT studied and UNDERLINED. The PO would come up behind her in the back row to do a check-up. I was a pretty straight arrow Jdub at the time and even then knew it was just a control tactic. One of the many issues that got me to THINK = what's wrong with this picture?

Also, when I did study my WT in advance I rarely underlined more than a key word or scripture and got lots flippant comments like 'I see you didn't study again' The arrogance was another issue that made me come to my senses.

• yknot
    yknot

I adamantly refuse to ever underline/highlight in any other type of written media.........

HOWEVER........ I was told point blank when I was 4 years old to use a minimum of 2 highlighters and work on using 4-5 highlighters

1. Question Answer

2. Scriptures

3. Points you 'appreciated'

4. Items you felt needed 'deeper' research

5. Those comments/points that could be used effectively in FS

• Opus92
    Opus92

I highlighted as little as possible. The pages were so thin that a lot of highlighting would show through or ruin the page. I didn't like underlining at all.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

To study w/o underlining would be like buying a high-dollar sports car w/o ever taking it out of the garage. JWs underline so they don't get hassled by the R&F who are themselves stuck into underlining. It's peer pressure at its worst.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I never underlined. Never helped me study, so why do it? I never take notes either...because I don't look at them again. Same way in school, never underlined, took notes none of that. My grades were good, so if it ain't broke, I wasn't going to fix it.

• KingArthur
    KingArthur

On the same note, I also rarely commented because I found it insulting to my intelligence to recite a sentence or concept that we just read without any thought or personal slant on things.

This is what bothered me so much also, whay take the trouble to say what has already been said.

Seemed like such a waste of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit