Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go Of God"

by changeling 6 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

If you have access to "Showtime", you might want to watch this monolgue of Sweeney's journey from Catholisism to Atheism. I enjoyed it immensely. :)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, it's very good, and Julia presents her story articulately and with humor. She is very personable.

See also: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B4CFC050177BE180&search_query=julia+sweeney+on+letting+go+of+god

• tinker
    tinker

Thank you Changeling for recommending this show. I also posted my very high recommendation here a few days ago. Julia really hits the notes on how it feels to let go of something you have believed all your life. When I first heard this momologe I had to hear if again and again so I bought it on Itunes and downloaded to my IPod.

Thanks Nat for the Youtube hits too. I hope everybody takes a few minutes to watch these. So great to hear a few witty words on such a traumatic life changing event. Julia was Chatolic but with just a few word changes she could be talking about JW's.

• Scully
    Scully

I downloaded this as an audiobook from Audible.com

I'll have to try and listen again because I just found her voice/inflection etc. to be so incredibly annoying that I had to stop part way through.

• wobble
    wobble

A similar journey was followed by Karen Armstrong, who was a Catholic Nun from her late teens till her mid-twenties I believe.

Her thoughts and feelings resonated with me.

She gives a very readable account in her memoir "The Spiral Staircase " it reads as good as any thriller.

Love

Wobble

• Dagney
    Dagney

I bought the audio book about a year after I left JW. Not being able to discuss the thoughts flying around in my head with anyone, Julia's thoughts gave me a sort of validation that I was not the only one.

To me it's a keeper. Watching the show now.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Lenny and I have this on our I-pods. I think he sent copies to friends when he first found it. It's very good but I do agree with Scully. I had to take it in doses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit