What things are pagan in origin?

by roybatty 31 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty

I read someone's commment about the pagan origins of pretzels, which I didn't know. I'd like to share with my kids other items or customs that are also pagan in origin, like wedding rings and the wedding cake. I want them to see that Christmas isn't the only tradition with roots in pagan religion that have changed meaning over the years.
    Any others out there?

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Origin of a Pretzel ( http://www.fritolay.com/pretzel.html):
    The architecture of the Pretzel was developed by a monk, about 610 A.D. in one of the monasteries of Southern France or Northern Italy. It seems that with the ends of the dough left over after bread baking this imaginative monk devised a strip of dough from these ends and formed it to represent children's arms folded in prayer. It was such as intriguing looped twist that he gave it to the adept children for learning their prayers. He called it "Pretiola," which is the Latin for little reward. It became a symbol of excellence in many accomplishments.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Pretzels and beer, together, also have a very tainted, ungodly, past............

“Cancel my subscription to the resurrection. Send my credentials to the House of Detention, I got some friends inside.....” The Doors

• Mulan
    Mulan

neckties........a friend of ours used to harp on this all the time, as he fussed with his, at the meetings. I doubt if he has worn one again, since leaving the WTS.

wreaths (all kinds) .......

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Will Power
    Will Power

The days of the week of course
    Judicial Committees
    Beth El
    and being thankful

• DB
    DB

Uh oh, I just ate some pretzels (the "Thins"...must be skinny people with arms folded in prayer).

I have always felt that as time goes by, many traditions and holidays with so-called pagan origins take on a different meaning. Example: saying "God bless you" or simply "bless you" to someone who has sneezed...no one who says those words these days thinks of their supposed superstitious origin. Rather, the person is simply trying to be nice.

• Hojon
    Hojon

Heh, I was just in a discussion with a Christian that was upset that Christmas had been "hijacked by the liberals" and was losing its true meaning. I pointed out that Christmas had been hijacked by the Christians already, and that the pagans must be saying the same thing he was.

Guess I did learn something usefull in the Hall after all.

• metatron
    metatron

Algebra is pagan - being Hindu/Arabic/Babylonian in origin.

The dollar bill is loaded with pagan/spiritistic symbols.

metatron

• Will Power
    Will Power

I don't think the pagans were celebrating Christ
    so is it pagan to not celebrate Christ?

• nelly136
    nelly136

DB your post made me wonder about the bless you thing
    with sneezing, the kids nursery rhyme ring o ring a roses
    dates back I think to black death/plague times, the 'atishoo we all
    fall down' bit was about dying,
    perhaps the bless you after sneezing is tied in with that somehow,
    nelly
    (whose probably miles off with this one lol)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit