The Knowledge of good and evil

by ldrnomo 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slappy
    Slappy

"So what's the deal with this anyway? Did he not want man to know the difference between good and evil? If he gave us free will wouldn't he want us to have all the knowledge we could so we could make a decision based on that knowledge?"

Why do you make the assumption that knowing the difference between good and evil was necessary before a decision could be made? Do you suggest that, had they had such knowledge beforehand, they would have made the right decision?

We have proven that idea wrong on countless occassions. We know what's good, yet we, more often than not, choose what is evil. This is a problem and we know it; however, that makes things very uncomfortable. It would be much easier if we could just blur the line between the two until there is no discernable difference.

Am I missing anything?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What Jehovah wanted was absolute control. Everything you do was supposed to be what Jehovah told you to. That would have led to a stagnant, boring life where no one but Jehovah could ever really enjoy. And, if mankind didn't know the difference, Jehovah would have an easy time enforcing it while we would never know what we are missing out on. And Satan saw that, along with an oppressive tyranny by Jehovah ahead--in his job as man's guardian, Satan went above and beyond his call of duty and blew the whistle on that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag Jehovah.

• KingAgag
    KingAgag

" I also wonder what "perfect" humans did with their waste, did they bury it or just squat whenever they needed to excrete and walk away? Maybe when they were perfect their sh*t didn't stink." I am pretty sure that once I saw a really old WT (or awake/golden age etc) that suggested when we are perfect we won't need to defecate at all!!! What a load of rose-smelling crap. I can't give you a reference sorry. Maybe someone else knows where it is from?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Histories Biggest Hoax & it still goes on, so many sucked in.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The problem with the story is that we only have one version and one outcome and so have to make assumptions based on that. So what would have happened if Eve had rejected the snake or Adam had chosen not to eat the fruit? What if they had said sorry? What was God's long term plan?

Farkel may well be right and certainly his perspective on the issue is thought provoking and well thought out. Is there any alternative point of view?

In any home there are shared things and exclusive things. People are told that the things that are particularly precious must not be used by others that they belong exclusively to another person. Even children can respect this. The tree of knowledge was something precious that belonged to someone else. Adam and Eve weren't starving and there is no indication they had much interest in the tree until Eve talked to the serpent.

The tree didn't give Eve anything she didn't have already except guilt it was the first time she had made a mistake. Before eating from it she was able to reason on what was right or wrong otherwise she would have been unable to reason with the serpent in the first place.

Was the tree merely a symbol? Was God saying let me take care of you and help you, or you can choose to go it alone. If you chose me , I will help you and sustain you. If not then I cannot help you. It will be hard but you will have to make your own way in life. I don't know as the tale is probably allegorical it is academic.

Even if Adam and Eve had remained faithful what about their children? It would be unreasonable to expect that all of them would have been able to resist temptation.

Had God planned to allow them access to the exclusive trees in the garden after a time? Revelation talks about the tree of life being accessible.

I don't know the answers my old JW head wants to see a benevolent God greatly maligned but is this the case? This in no way answers the points Farkel and others have raised just asks people to also consider the what ifs as an academic exercise.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Why do you make the assumption that knowing the difference between good and evil was necessary before a decision could be made?

Why do you assume that Genesis chapter 3 is historical fact? It isn't.

Do you suggest that, had they had such knowledge beforehand, they would have made the right decision?
    We have proven that idea wrong on countless occassions. We know what's good, yet we, more often than not, choose what is evil. This is a problem and we know it; however, that makes things very uncomfortable. It would be much easier if we could just blur the line between the two until there is no discernable difference.

Whose "we", and how did you prove that wrong? You didn't and you can't. The fact is, that this topic isn't about good vs evil, but how the bible god is portrayed as baiting mankind to follow him, to indoctrinate man that he sucks. The allegory of Genesis 3 demonstrates this.

Good vs evil is a great big ol topic. However, to try and trace its roots to Genesis 3 is wrong. Genesis 3 isn't about good and bad, its about sin and guilt. And YHWH is culpable for the situation he supposedly put his creation in anyway.

Good vs evil involves you and me, and not some invisible floating guy in the sky. I realize that it exists, and the lines shouldn't be blurred. That is totally irrelevant from the fairy tale that is portrayed in Genesis 3 however.

• designs
    designs

First step to a reading of Genesis is having a Jewish guide, it is their folklore and legends. if you don't have time or the inclination to attend classes on Judaism then get a quick overview in a book like 'Judaism for Dummies' at your local 2nd hand book store.

Taking the stories of 'Gan Eden' literally was one of the missteps of the Gentile Christian community and led to all sorts of contrived and warped ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit