Greetings

by AggieNostic 34 Replies latest jw friends

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

First New Topic for me.

I have observed this site for about 4 years. Haven't been to a meeting since Oct 2005. Definitely feel JWs are a high control group that mirrors many of the definitions of a cult.

I was raised as a witness since age 5, left at age 38, now 43. Happily married to a wonderful woman for 24 years, except for 1 year of separation when I was failing miserable in a search for my true self - hard to do when you were completely sucked into this religion. Yes, I was a true believer pretty much up into my late 30s. Then my children became teenagers and I felt that they deserved much more in life than I ever had... couple that with my personal demons from never experiencing the typical rites of passage from teenager to young adult to mature adult and I finally woke up and realized a group of men did not have control over me. There's alot more to this story... please continue reading - I apologize for the length of this post...

My "pedigree" as a JW: regular pioneer at age 19, MS at age 22, Elder at age 27, conducted the school, gave assembly parts, baptism talks, district parts, dramas, quick build cmte, book study conductor, wt conductor etc... on and on... I never turned down a "privilege"... was instilled into me to never say "no"... all the while sacrificing my relationship with my wife - never really had time to grow our lover beyond the early dating/newlywed feelings of love - but the "Truth" always trumped my family.

That damage is slowly being repaired - as I work hard to know my wife, my children and not be afraid to be myself. It's hard to describe how I feel and I admit that I have made many errors in judgement while at the same time I put some blame on how I was raised and all the things I missed out on.

My father was/is a pillar in the congregation - he worked a full time job, and was elder and PO throughout my childhood. We were the model family and that added stress - knowing that anything we did/said would be broadcasted throughout the region. I could never do anything outside of the house/congregation. No "worldly" friends, no extras at school... nothing. No attention or care given to my education - no parent/teacher conferences, no "how did you do on your test", nothing. School wasn't important. I was an "A" student so maybe they assumed no attention was warranted. Obviously, college was a huge "NO NO". My teenage years were from 1979 - 1985 and frankly, I have ZERO memories from then because nothing happened outside of conventions, field service, meetings - other than meeting my wife.

My wife and I started writing letters when I was a senior in HS, and we were counseled that letters back and forth were dating and we had to stop until we were able to be married. We saw each other at assemblys and conventions and the odd skating party... that was our early courtship. When I graduated high school, we both started pioneering and started dating... dating consisted of going to her house, or her coming my house. Never alone, always with parents, and twice we went out to dinner with another married couple as chaperones. After 2 dates, I proposed and we were married - I was 19. Typical JW marriage - too young, no real career, no education, and we hardly knew each other.

After a year of pioneering, my wife became pregnant and I had to step down as a pioneer to work full time... Oh the guilt I felt - I only made it one year... so ashamed... I cried and felt so depressed that I was letting "god" down. The elders met with me and expressed their concern that I would become weak and should find a way to continue pioneering. That pressure was unbearable. How did I handle it?&n

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

How did I handle it? I took on more responsiblities and the elders gladly gave them to me.

A couple of years later I was appointed MS, while a servant - (note I did all of this at the same time...) I conducted the second school, scheduled public talks, conducted a book study, worked on every quick build, aux pioneered, was in dramas regularly, gave parts on the assemblies, was one of the few that mowed the KH lawn regularly, picked up and looked after several older sisters - my world had no "me time" and I was only 23!!!. I had no hobbies, no interests, no life outside the "truth". My true identity was masked. I did not know who I was. I still am trying to find that out. I still have a hard time truly enjoying myself as I feel guilty for having uninhibited fun. At age 27 I was appointed elder - what a joke... I had no business being an elder, yet that was what you did... never turn down an assignment.

No insurance, no job, no savings, no education... I was a loser! To this day, it is hard to remember any real day to day details from those times - it brings so much sadness to me to think how that wonderful time in life from age 18 to mid/late 30s was lost. Gone. The little things you do, the friends you make, the things you learn. All GONE and I will never get that time of life back. Do I sound bitter? I am. but I try really hard to put that behind me... but as I get older I feel so deprived and the thought of my mortality without having those special times in my memories is very painful to me. I hate what this religion did to me. I hate that I was so blind and believed the lies.

Flash forward to a few years ago and all of that guilt, fear, loss, sadness, depression, feelings of inadequacy culminated into me being a pretty miserable person. That feeling was never shared with anyone - my wife had no clue, I masked it with my elder happy face - sure that in the new system all of this wouldnt matter.

Thats when it happened... another woman... a girl really, started giving me attention at work. She was in her early 20s and smart, pretty, energetic, had a wonderful outlook on life, she had a wonderful, loving, caring family that also took an interest in me - and all of that attention caught me off guard - felt refreshing, gave me something positive to focus on in my miserable existence. She represented the part of my life that I had never experienced.

Those missing years of my youth were now right before me. However, it was a huge mistake. It almost cost me my family - it certainly damaged and hurt them. But at the time, I felt a freedom - freedom to do and say what I wanted - no fear of man or god.

However, nobody in JW Land cared to know the why's or offered to help me through this state of uncertainty and confusion. Everyone assumed that I was just a bad man, only wanting pleasure and was selfish and didn't love anyone but himself.

My parents, siblings, friends all avoided me like the plague. While their accusations were partly true - as I was enjoying my new found escape - this was the most eye opening experience of my life and to be truthful, it made me who I am today.

I regret with my whole heart for causing my wife to cry herself to sleep, to be so betrayed, to lose someone that she trusted - I hate it and will never let that disgust in myself fully go away - it's sort of an internal alarm system for me to never put myself in that situation or hide any confused feelings from her ever again. It made me aware of how much I treasure family because I almost lost my family.

It also made me quite aware t

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

It also made me quite aware that JWs do NOT really value family bonds and in my opinion, they resemble the Hitler youth who were so brainwashed they would betray even their parents for opposing the Nazi regime - sending them off to be executed.

But at the same time, this period allowed me the opportunity to escape the stanglehold that the "truth" had on me. I wasn't afraid to research the true origins and teachings and doctrinal wish/wash of JWs. It led me to this site and all of the research and experiences of people just like me. It allowed me to truly understand the meaning of unconditional love and friendship. I was free. I had no fear. It was amazing - for the first time in my life I could be myself - problem was I didn't know who I was...

So, succombing to this new lust for freedom and a new life, I completely disconnected from my miserable life. I moved out. I did not even explain anything to my wife or kids. I just left. I still paid all their bills, gave them pretty much all of my money as by then I had somehow managed (still have no clue how I am so lucky) to be a successful part of a fortune 500 company and was making an ok living financially... my company thought I was a degreed person... I lived for a few months with a coworker (who is gay - talk about the rumors... exElder living with two gay men!!) He is a beautiful person who certainly knows about being different and finding his way in life... then I lived with my sister for a few months - who is DF'd and has had a miserable life as well - I now try my best to take care of her and her daughters. I then rented a house for a few months... all the while never meeting with the elders or talking to anyone. They called a couple times and left voicemails but no real attempts were made to contact me or any real concern has ever been shown for me.

I was a piece of trash to them and I was tossed away.

One point: I am not DF's nor DA'd... go figure. More about this and the hypocrisy at such an extreme level that it will make you sick at another time...

I will try to put some more thoughts together to round out this story - just know that I am now in a much better place.

I have my family back and I am a free man - working on always having a positive outlook on life. My life. Life that exists now, not some pipedream future life.

So I live for the now, try to enjoy the now and all the little things that make up the tapestry of life and I have wonderful children that will never have the mind controlling miserable experiences myself and my wife have had. Thank goodness! By the way, my wife and my children have also discontinued their associaton wth JWs - they are also not DF's nor DA'd... just inactive successful faders. My son will soon graduate from university, my daughter will start university next year and my wife started university this past year at age 44. Did I mention that I truly love her - she never gave up on me! You know that feeling when someone loves you despite you? You know that feeling when you can count on someone to be there for you - despite you being an a$$hole? I am so fortunate... I can hardly explain how amazing my wife is.

I love my life now despite my past. Despite my hypocritical family members and their lack of true love. Despite my former conditional friends who haven't even expressed any interest in us - I could understand no interest in me, but my wife and kids did absolutely nothing except stop going to meetings and all that goes with - no attempts to shephard them, no interest or communication from any of their for

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

Despite my former conditional friends who haven't even expressed any interest in us - I could understand no interest in me, but my wife and kids did absolutely nothing except stop going to meetings and all that goes with - no attempts to shephard them, no interest or communication from any of their former friends... trust me, JWs are the most unloving group of people in existance to those who leave the "truth".

Stay tuned more more ramblings from a man who finally - after decades in the abyss that is Jehovah's Witnesses - now has his own life!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Thank you for making my day AN, and welcome to the forum.

It is not often we hear of a successful exit of a whole family. Congratulations to you all.

I wish you all a happy future

Cheers

Chris

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hey there. I can really relate to your life, sounds a lot like mine. (except being married to an excellent JW woman. Mine was nuts) Glad you are here.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow! Hello and hearty welcome, Aggie! Great sign-on. Are you Abby Normal's cousin...?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Wow, what a story! Welcome to JWN. It' good to hear that your whole family got out despite your error. It could've ended much worse. Can't wait to hear more of your story.

• cheerios
    cheerios

good on ya, aggie! glad to see you here, and glad you finally found freedom!

gig'em!

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

sorry, I don't know Abby...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit