The Sign of Matthew 24 shows we ARE NOT in the last days

by Mad Sweeney 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Here is what the NWT says:

" 4 And in answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads YOU ; 5 for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. 6 Y OU are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that YOU are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the end is not yet.

7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.

9 “Then people will deliver YOU up to tribulation and will kill YOU , and YOU will be objects of hatred by all the nations on account of my name. 10 Then, also, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and mislead many; 12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off. 13 But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved. 14 And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come. "

Sign 1. Many people saying they are the Christ. Hasn't happened. Maybe a handful of loons have showed up making the claim in my lifetime. Nothing close to "many."

Sign 2. You will hear of wars and reports of wars/nation against nation. Wars have ebbed and flowed throughout the centuries. Since the end of WWII, things have remained pretty much the same with no real increase in conflicts globally for 65 years.

Sign 3. Food shortages. The 20th century didn't eradicate starvation, and the total number of hungry is up, but the rate of starvation is way down. Food production has boomed and a much greater percentage of the world is being fed than was the case pre-1914.

Sign 4. Earthquakes. The frequency and power of earthquakes has been consistent and stable for thousands and thousands of years.

Sign 5. Tribulation and killing of Christians as objects of hatred by ALL nations. Not happening. There is local persecution in various places but mass killing of Christians in all nations? Not even close.

Sign 6. Stumbling/betrayals/hatred. Hard to quantify. Is this actually worse than it used to be? I would say the world is at least as civil as it was 100 years ago, though perhaps not more so.

Sign 7. Many false prophets arise and mislead many. This one is happening. No denying it.

Sign 8. Because of increasing lawlessness love of most people will cool off. I don't see it.&

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Cut me off. . .

Continued:

Sign 8. Because of increasing lawlessness love of most people will cool off. I don't see it. Crime is down. People are as caring or as indifferent as they used to be. I don't see any big change here, but this one, like number 6, is hard to quantify.

Sign 9. Good news preached in all earth/all nations. Not sure about this one. Are there Christian missionaries in the Uyghur provinces of China? In Pakistan? All nations? Really?

So is Matthew 24 being fulfilled today? Sure doesn't look like it to me.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

It is basically telling one not to be deceived and think the end is near because of world conditions. The GB disagrees with Jesus here.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the old chestnut of "governments turning on religion" has not happened and is not ever likely to so until that gets fulfilled we're in fore a long long long wait

• sacolton
    sacolton

"any day now"

"soon"

"your next breath"

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

The good news to completed in this 20th century

• JeffT
    JeffT

A translation called "The Message" puts a whole different spin on it.

4-8Jesus said, "Watch out for doomsday deceivers. Many leaders are going to show up with forged identities, claiming, 'I am Christ, the Messiah.' They will deceive a lot of people. When reports come in of wars and rumored wars, keep your head and don't panic. This is routine history; this is no sign of the end.

Edited to add: Next time they come to my door I'm going to mess with their heads.

• yknot
    yknot
    4And in answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads YOU;5for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many

Hmmm...... 'Christ' means 'anointed'......

4And in answer Jesus said to them: “Look out that nobody misleads YOU;5for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ Anointed,’ and will mislead many.

Now ain't that somethin' to think about!

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

JEWS ARE NOW BANNED IN RUSSIA!! More people should see this!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/185609/1/Jehovahs-Witnesses-are-banned-in-Russia

Their property was confiscated as well. Maybe this will happen worldwide. But it certainly fulfills the prophecy about Babylon the Great being totally destroyed. You can destroy a religion if you take their facilities and make them illegal.

This just happened!!

LS

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Whether these signs are fulfilled or not depend upon interpretation.

For instance you said

Sign 8. Because of increasing lawlessness love of most people will cool off. I don't see it.&

Well it says the love of the "greater number" would cool off. In the Bible the "greater number" refers to the natural Jews and thus the implied "lesser number" refers to spiritual Israel, namely, JWs. Note JWs and the Jews were specific targets of the Nazzis in WWII.

Thus the "love of the greater number" cooling off, specifically refers to the Jews and thus the increase of antisemitism from WWI forward leading into the Holocaust. So this was fulfilled. It seems not fulfilled to some because they don't understand the application.

LS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit