Is there a way of saying to my family....

by wobble 29 Replies latest jw friends

• freewilly01
    freewilly01

I agree with you it is totally fake etc. They don't deserve a huge explanation and things have changed in a large way now that our (our) eyes are opened!

A suggestion:

BTW were just not into the gift thing this year (with kindness ) ................that way you state how you feel and don't have that sellout mentality or that your being at their whim or will.

Then if they still give gifts accept them what the hell!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Here you go Wobble :)

Proverbs 18:15-17 (New International Version)

15 The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge;
    the ears of the wise seek it out.

16 A gift opens the way for the giver
    and ushers him into the presence of the great.

17 The first to present his case seems right,
    till another comes forward and questions him.

Proverbs 19:5-7 (New International Version)

5 A false witness will not go unpunished,
    and he who pours out lies will not go free.

6 Many curry favor with a ruler,
    and everyone is the friend of a man who gives gifts.

7 A poor man is shunned by all his relatives—
    how much more do his friends avoid him!
    Though he pursues them with pleading,
    they are nowhere to be found.

Interesting proverbs either side too!

Blessings, Stephen

• zoiks
    zoiks

Happy 39th Mr. and Mrs. Wobble!

Happy 17th Mr. and Mrs. Jones!

Happy 13th Mr. and Mrs. xeracia!

phew

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

sounds like you are bitter over the beliefs not the presents.

just take the presents, at least they are bringing them, I havent seen my mum for a year.

• zoiks
    zoiks

You know this reminds me a little bit of some witness friends I knew who would receive xmas gifts from family and send them back unopened, and then demand that no more xmas gifts be sent EVER. I remember thinking, why make a scene? It's free stuff!

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Dear Wobble

You could graciously accept the gifts and then if you really don't want them out of principle, rewrap them in xmas paper and take them down to local mall where they have a charity xmas tree with gifts for the disadvantaged and put them under it!

Hopscotch

PS Happy Anniversary

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks to all for your replies and your felicitations,

I am hoping to get my Wife to to read this thread so that she can change her mind a bit, it isn't the presents themselves, it is the fact that they make it clear they only want the minimum, necessary, contact with us, a bit like we are DF'd. They do not show any real love the rest of the year. We have always bought them presents on their anniversary, but we will feel awkward doing that in the future perhaps.

I think the give to charity as an alternative may be a great let out, perhaps I will suggest my favourite charity is the British Humanist Association !

Happy 17th Mr and Mrs Jones !

Happy 13th Mr and mrs Xeracial !

We will enjoy giving, and perhaps receiving, presents, at Christmas to our sons,and to the Wife's relatives who have faded like us.

Thanks again to all you lovely people,and have a GREAT Christmas !

Love

Wobble

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

wobble

Many congratulations for your 39th wedding anniversary on Saturday, 12th - that's some achievement, and something quite rare nowadays! Don't turn down any gifts, or cards, though - try to maintain as 'normal' a family relationship as possible. You just never know when your family relatives will wake up and escape from the JW cult.

My wife Joy and I have our 38th anniversary this Friday, 11th December. Since I DAd myself, my FIL and BIL and his wife no longer send us a card, far less any gifts. They don't even send my wife a card now, as she's married to me, a DAd humanist - that must be seen as being something inappropriate for a JW cult member!

I find it quite funny and sad that they now only send Joy a postcard when they go on a holiday - they address the card only to my wife. A bit extreme, don't you think?

lifelong humanist

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks Lifelong,

Congrats on your 38th ! (that means you were only five when you got married, Tee Hee)

The Dubs are so extreme,and I bet the majority of them, deep down, are not happy giving out this hateful treatment.

They are going to study the "Follow the Christ" book next year I think, but there is probably little danger of many of them actually putting in to practice his teaching, the Golden Rule absolutely condemns the kind of actions they take against any who have left, hypocrites.

Love

Wobble

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Happy 17th Mr and Mrs Jones !"

Thank you Wobble and Zoiks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit