OT God YHWH versus Jesus' Father

by Mad Sweeney 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm starting to think they're not the same being. Thoughts?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

To paraphrase Paul:

If the writers of the OT and the Old Covenant had gotten it "right", there would have been no need for a New Covenant.

Jesus accused to scribes of misleading the people of misrepresenting God and he was right.

I don't think they did it on purpose per say, I think that God's message got lost on his meesengers.

They did the best they could, it just got "perverted" and used by others and what do we have?

A Supreme being that created all out of love but that is jealous, askes for children to be mutiliated and condones genocide and murder and rape, tolerates incest and oh so much more.

But at the same time, in the OT, there are many warnings already to this by some of his prophets like Isaiah.

So God sent Jesus in the hope that his own son, his very essence could clear up the confusion.

Results?

Wel...

• snowbird
    snowbird

When I was with the JW's, I thought YHWH was the Father.

Now, after careful Bible reading, I believe YHWH is the Son, exclusively.

Sylvia

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Bad thought. Same thing. Why would you think they are two separate Gods?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Good ponts, PSac. Interesting perspective.

Sylvia, how do you reconcile that YHWH of the OT and Jesus of the NT are absolutely nothing alike in personality? Is it because the OT writers got it wrong, as PSac suggests?

Or could YHWH be a completely different god who is as petty and vengeful as the OT suggests? Is it possible that Jesus came to completely overturn not just the old covenant but the old covenant's god, as well? Did Jesus pray to YHWH or teach his disciples to do so? Or is his father someone else?

I'm not trying to make a point; I have no firm belief on the matter at the moment. I'm exploring possibilities.

• Word
    Word

Moses Got It All Wrong

• glenster
    glenster

Either way, you're going to have a God that presides over the good and the bad
    that Job or you or I would look around and see. Ultimately, those things aren't
    a problem for a God concept--in fact, it has to be reconciled with those things
    to be credible.

A few differences with Jesus off the top of my head are:
    - that God reconciles people to himself on the cross,
    - that it's more a case of love freely given (compared to it being the law of
    a land as with Moses--a system regressed to centuries after Jesus with certain
    Christian leaders and Muhammad), and
    - ethically arbitrary matters (ancestry, clothes, food) that create walls of
    alienation around a 'centric group are dropped--Christians are to go among Jews
    and Gentiles without giving offense, sacrificing of the self to gain them for
    God (again compared to Mosaic law and regressed to with Muhammad).

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't find that the God of the OT sending his own son out to die is very surprising.

W

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sylvia, how do you reconcile that YHWH of the OT and Jesus of the NT are absolutely nothing alike in personality? Is it because the OT writers got it wrong, as PSac suggests?

I believe YHWH is the Son - the God who became man and died for our sins.

Sylvia

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I believe YHWH is the Son - the God who became man and died for our sins.

That leaves even less room for such a drastic personality change.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit