Are the JW's just as superstitious as any other religion?

by dissed 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

JWs are very superstitious. They look for the "Devil under every rock", in every other book other than JW books, paintings, jewelry, create scare of garage sales, especially if they are having problems. Their fear really controls them.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I recall an experience I had with this kind of superstition.

I went to a man and woman's (brother & sister's) house to bring them a new "used" washer and I noticed that there were scriptures printed in LARGE BOLD letters all over the kitchen and utility room cabinets. When I asked her why she had these different scriptures posted all around the house she confessed that she was concerned about wicked spirits because her husband played video games onlline and she felt he could possibly be inviting the demons into her house. I guess she hoped the demons would not like the printed decor and although they can move things with their powers, they still can't peel tape and letters off of cabinets.

LD

• Scully
    Scully

One Sister™ suggested that I needed to destroy everything I ever bought at garage sales to cure my post-partum depression; she believed that I may have "picked up a demon". Since she was an Elder's Wife™ and well-known as a garage sale junkie, plus the fact that she often dragged me along with her on her garage sale jaunts, my response to her was: "You first."

• yknot
    yknot

Early onset of dementia......

>>> A JW Nutritionist<<<<<....... Will the curse of Clayton ever freakin' die!!!!!!!

Well a get-together could be arranged where all but he and her are in agreement that she threatened to harm herself....... perhaps enough to get a pysch lock-down and evaluation.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness`s..

Are exceptionally Superstitious..

More so,than any other group I have met..

......................... ...OUTLAW

• Scully
    Scully

BTW, in my professional opinion, both of them need to be evaluated for mental illness. If they are destroying their belongings by fire, they are a threat to their own and each others' safety. If they have neighbours in close proximity, these fires are threatening the safety of their neighbours too.

It sounds as though she has severe dementia accompanied by auditory hallucinations, and he has issues with paranoia and delusions of grandeur/persecution (symptomatic of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder).

I wonder if there is some way that you can talk to a social worker about this. For someone to not seek medical attention for a mentally ill elderly person who requires it is a form of elder abuse. You should be able to report this situation anonymously and have it investigated.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

(((Scully)))..

If they are destroying their belongings by fire, they are a threat to their own and each others' safety.
    If they have neighbours in close proximity, these fires are threatening the safety of their neighbours too.

You realise you are talking about "most" JW mom`s?

LOL!!..

......................... ...OUTLAW

• dissed
    dissed

I'm taking all of these ideas in and sharing them with my wife. We then plan to conference a call with the concerned part of the family to see if we can develope a course of action.

The bond fire idea was my old PO's. He called him looking for help and my old 'buddy' thought the demons took us over and is why we left. (my old PO subs as a CO as well)

And by the way, my Br-in-law was a Psyche major in college. I'm saying this to show how much the JW's have twisted his thinking.

• xeracia
    xeracia

What a horrible story. I am so sorry you are being blamed for your sister in law's illness. She really does need to see a doctor and I hope they finally get her the help she needs. As far as JW's being superstitious, I recall from my childhood, playing records backwards to see if they had messages from the devil. I lost so many of my favorite records because my mother heard something she did not like. I recall renting movies at the video store and then watching them and something would be "satanic" and my mother then wrapping the video in watchtowers and dropping it in the drop box at the video store immediately. When my husband and I married, and my family converted him for the one year he was a Witness...they convinced him that his Magic the Gathering cards were evil and we had a bonfire in the backyard and burned them and his Dungeons and Dragons manuals. I've since replaced them for him.

And the saddest story ever was of a young brother who was my age and diagnosed schizophrenic. The elders were convinced that he was possessed. Even though the doctors told him the voices he heard was just a symptom of his illness he thought it was demons talking to him. I was one of the few kids in the hall he could talk to that would not freak out on him over it. He would see things all the time and hear things and had quite a few scary stories. Sadly he ended up killing himself a few years ago. I guess constantly being told you are demonically possessed would get to you.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Mental illness or not, they sure have more than their share of superstitions. The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger continually puts out littera-trash suggesting that the demons are waiting for someone to attack that might have possession of just about anything. Reasons for "demon possession" can include not doing enough for Jehovah, possessing a bad movie or record, accessing bad TV shows or Web sites, having bad books and magazines in the home, and even getting some of the items that are sometimes associated with demons (and all it takes is one witless to think something has a bad symbol, and you are at risk).

Keep in mind that this is not an extreme situation. The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger has started many of these examples. Demon possession from getting involved with sexual "immorality" or listening to thrash metal, that was stopped upon praying to Jehovah or throwing one's albums out, was actually written in the rags. And, there are plenty of more localized rumors--Smurfs, yard sales, and Tupperware demon possessions probably started with a local hounder or hounder-hounder hearing a story about demons and these items from a single witless. From there, they spread, sometimes even becoming widespread.

Other common superstitions: If you do not turn in a field circus slip for a month, you are not faithful. It is not enough to do the time--you have to turn in the slip.

Bad associations--explicitly worldly people or those within the congregation that are more lenient--are going to ruin your chances of living in the New Dark Ages.

Having sex, or taking a blood transfusion, always carries unacceptable risk of getting AIDS.

Churches and malls are temples of the demons. You are supporting false religion if you so much as look at the Christmas trees and lights or listen to Christmas carols played in public places.

You are associating with "bad associations" if you listen to worldly music or watch videos that do not come from the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery. And, you are supporting "that apostate" if you sell a Michael Jackson record you already have bought, or play Michael Jackson songs from records you already have. (And don't even think of listening to Ja Rule or Xzibit).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit