Are the JW's just as superstitious as any other religion?

by dissed 21 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

Three years ago, my wife's JW sister of 55 became seriously mentally ill. Hallucinations, hearing voices, acute paranoia, physically acting almost like a child. Her and her husband, both have a masters in education, while he also serves as an Elder.

Why the background? Because its their belief, even with their education, the demons are causing her problems and we, my wife and I, were the ones bringing the demons into her life.

For three years, she goes undiagnosed, while he REFUSES to get her medical help. She is now incapable of driving, using the computer, using a phone, and was forced to retire from her job as well as he, because she needs constant attention.

Three years ago while attending a family gathering at their home, all of us in the family noticed she was acting odd and were concerned. So my wife called him when we got home and mentioned our concerns. He stated to my wife he felt we brought the demons into their house, because of our leaving the 'truth', and that is why she was having problems.

This last year we learned they gathered every gift we ever gave them, and destroyed them in hopes of ridding her of the demons. One painting was valued at more than $5,000 US.

Then came the bombshell this Thankgiving. While her husband was doing yard work, she called my nephew at our dinner and said the voice told her, one of them would be violently killed for sharing the meal with us, then said, 3 foot Black Widow spiders were attacking her and she had to go. My nephews wife then said something we hadn't known, that they were keeping from my wife. (she's pretty upset about this, being blamed for her sisters illness already)

When the destruction of our gifts didn't bring them relief, they started taking anything we touched in the house, towels, bed linens, couch cushions, made a big pile of them in the yard, said a prayer to JG, then burned them.

Now, this may seem like an extreme case. But are not the JW's reacting to adversity all the time in similar ways. Living in fear of the demons, blaming them and wondering, 'did I do something to invite the demons into my home that caused this wrong'? And isn't that the same as many religions, that even they feel and chide as 'superstitious'?

And why wouldn't JG protect them if they are remaining faithful? Even if some object was innocently acquired? You tell me.

Signed,

Dissed, who wants to beat some sense into his wacko brother-in-law, but doesn't want to go to jail for it

• Emma
    Emma

They are very supersticious, just deluded into believing that their religious supersticions are the "real" ones. Did she ever get help?

• dissed
    dissed

Emma,

Regretully, as of Thanksgiving, she has not. This last episode was pretty bad. He can only control her so much before the authorites step in to protect her. The nephews are trying to get her help, but because he's the spouse, the authorities are limited to help because he's in the way.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I am not a Christian any more. I have been around a lot of religious people of different faiths since leaving the WTBTS organization.

I compare how my friends of other faiths talk and behave to how JWs I have known talked and behaved.

I have heard MANY JWs blame something on demon influence. THe only other people I have ever heard do that were practicers of black magic. Some of my (former) friends practice Santeria, others are practicers of witchcraft (real witchcraft, not that wicca nonsense).

The southern Bible thumpers that I know praise Jesus all the time and give Jesus credit for everything good that happens to them, but I don't remember them blaiming demon attack or demon influence for everything that befalls them.

The JWs also credit angels for looking out for them and for protecting them. So, when things go wrong, there has to also be a supernatural reason.

In my opinion JWs are superstitious to the extreme of it being almost a mental disorder.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

In my opinion they are more superstitious than most.

• yknot
    yknot

I am so sorry.....

Mental illness is scary and denial is often preferred instead of treatment.

Hearing voices......that is serious, call her state's board of mental health and inquire about what legally can be done.

• garyneal
    garyneal

That sounds as extreme as the woman in the book called 'The Spanking Room: A Child's Eye View of the Jehovah's Witnesses.' The author is the son of this strange woman who believed she saw demon eyes when she first converted to the 'truth.'

Can 'religious people' be superstituous? Perhaps but people like you in-laws and the woman in the book I describe obviously do not know about the protection of the Holy Spirit described in the Bible. I remember Angel Eyes posted a topic here about why Jehovah's Witnesses are so afraid of the devil. Chalam's answer, because they follow a powerless idol.

To me, this is just further proof that the witness religion is a false one but I do know that not all witnesses are this extreme.

• trueblue
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> In my opinion they are more superstitious than most.

I agree.

• dissed
    dissed

ynot

My nephews met with their father trying to get him to do something. All of them are no longer JW's, he doesn't have much respect for them, even though one is a medical professional.

He promised he would seek some help. He sort of did.

After looking around, he decided to take her to a JW nutritionist in San Diego. Like that could really help. They were fed up with his actions, and also knowing the state of Calif. limits what they can do unless she becomes an obvious harm to herself or others.

Gary Neal

This case might be extreme, but many of the JW's live in fear of the demons, to the point it controls their life. Where is the freedom they should have with JC protection? JC kicked the demons butt in his ministry. A true Christian should have nothing to fear and should be free of such bondage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit