Who believes in the POWER OF PRAYER?????

by whereami 56 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Oh well, I guess I need to change my screen name from lovelylil to egotistical fool.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I believe in the power of public prayers given at the Kingdom Hall.

They have the power to convince local JWs that I'm still "spiritually healthy" (tm).

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Not the prayer of the Bible or Christians. It never worked for me. What worked? I DID! I made my own wishes and dreams come true from the power that was in me all along. The power is in YOU.

What White Dove said.

I am in recovery, but don't know what I believe in for a higher power. I do know that when I pray, I feel better and more centered.

That is enough for me.

P

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I beg to differ!

The Bible indicates that God has a timetable for eradicating all the suffering that has ever happened on this here planet. All of it.

He/She is taking his/her time about it, and allowing a huge amount of suffering in his/her name. Wat a load of shit, a loving god would never allow this sort of suffering, mankind has caused this suffering & if it's going to be fixed it will be by mankind.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Snowbird,

Caedes, you and I will never see eye-to-eye on this.
    An impasse is not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't suppose we will, I am however interested in how you square your belief in god answering your personal prayers but not those of others in much worse situations, personally if I believed in god it would feel hollow and empty if god answered my prayers whilst leaving hundreds to die elsewhere. I am not interested in changing your mind on this issue just wondering how you feel about your preferential treatment.

I don't suppose it will be the last time we find our views at opposite ends of the spectrum, impasse or not I would still be interested to hear your opinion.

LovelyLil,

I think I would rather hear your thoughts on the implications of your beliefs.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Caedes, earlier I typed out a nice, long reply and lost it! I will try to recreate what I originally said.

I have not been given preferential treatment by God or anyone else.

I was born into extreme poverty, the kind you see in Third World countries.

I've gone to bed hungry; seen a beloved sister miss a year of school due to not having shoes; watched my father and two brothers succumb to alcoholism and die early deaths.

At an early age, I learned to call on God for strength to deal with our situation.

I know He heard and answered! While the plight of others in dire circumstances tear at my heart, I take comfort in His assurance that He's going to make things right.

Now, let me ask YOU a question: Have any other gods made a like promise?

Sylvia

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

nothing that I have sincerely prayed for has ever happened. I'm batting .000

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit