Who believes in the POWER OF PRAYER?????

by whereami 56 Replies latest jw friends

• goldensky
    goldensky

I really enjoyed the video, Whereami. And each one of your comments on it, guys.

Yesterday I visited a very Catholic lady whose 28 year-old-son is dying of cancer (I used to be his English tutor when he was 7 or 8. How sad...). This lady has been praying to the virgin Mary ever since the cancer was discovered (a couple of years ago, but now the young man is really living his last months), fully convinced Mary may "change her Son's (Christ's) plans for Javier (the lady's son) and heal him, just as she was able to convince him to perform the miracle of transforming water into wine before it was Christ's due time to become publicly known". (I couldn't believe my ears). She prays day and night. I couldn't help wondering how this highly educated upper-class intelligent Spanish lady can believe: 1. That Jesus could have such a horrible "plan" for her son. 2. That the virgin Mary may try to convince her Son not to take Javier away so soon by curing him. 2. That her prayers in particular are going to be heard above the thousands of other prayers by other mothers whose children are also dying...

But then, I pray myself to sleep every night too, even though all evidence is telling me He is not listening to me or to any human for that matter. Yet, it makes me feel good. And silly at the same time... I wonder whether I will end up not praying at all, but for the moment it feels so good... ????????

• donny
    donny

I don't anymore either. When you really sit back and look at it without any blinders, you see that it's just a crapshoot as to what prayers are answered versus those that are not. Some very good people have many bad things happen to them even though they pray incessantly and many evil types have great lives without ever uttering a prayer. I have heard many examples of prayers that were supposedly answered and nearly all of them can be explained by means other than intervention by a supreme being.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Not anymore.

• Caedes
    Caedes

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0324/breaking25.htm

A Tunisian pilot who paused to pray instead of taking emergency measures before crash-landing his plane, killing 16 people, has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by an Italian court along with his co-pilot.
    The 2005 crash at sea off Sicily left survivors swimming for their lives, some clinging to a piece of the fuselage that remained floating after the ATR turbo-prop aircraft splintered upon impact.
    A fuel-gauge malfunction was partly to blame but prosecutors also said the pilot succumbed to panic, praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures and then opting to crash-land the plane instead trying to reach a nearby airport.

I guess the power of prayer didn't work for the people who died in the crash?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Six million Jews died in the holocuast- that pretty much showed the Jews the value of prayer.

The road to happiness is often paved with self-delusion. There isn't anything wrong with this, per se.

I like what this German dude said. . .

Prayer has never worked for an amputee. If it ever does, it will certainly get my attention.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Didn't work for Him, either, but certainly sustained Him.

Mark 14:35 -36 Going a little ahead, he fell to the ground and prayed for a way out: "Papa, Father, you can—can't you?—get me out of this. Take this cup away from me. But please, not what I want—what do you want?" MSG

Sylvia

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Didn't work for Him, either, but certainly sustained Him.

Sylvia raises a valid point, IMHO.

Even if nothing happens as a result of your prayer, IF you feel better aftewards, then it's a GOOD thing -- for you.

For me, it's like taking vitamins/supplements. If they make you feel better, then by all means, continue. Who am I to question the positive results that are real to you?

• Caedes
    Caedes

If people want a placebo then good luck to them, as long as they aren't killing others in the process eh?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Not me!

Nothing fails like prayer.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

TBH I've all but given up with the concept of prayer theses day's although if I do pray it is to the Gog head of the Son and the Holy Ghost and on the rare occasion to my Guardian Angel. I think I have have had 2 real supernatural experiences during my life and they both came shortly after my leaving the WTS, weather they could be attributed to the power of prayer I do not know, one of the experiences left me with such an unforgettable memory that I will take to my death it was very positive and focused on vindication/justice and the events focused on a certain person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit