Did you hear Jw's swear?

by highdose 35 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

PG? That's allowed language, why not G?

What are on the list of proscribed words? Or is it subject to the self-righteous opinion of an at-home swearer? A person who strains out the gnat and gulps down the camel.

ass

hell

butt

• Begorrah = By God
    • Bejabbers = By Jesus
    • Bleeding heck = Bloody Hell
    • Blimey = Blind me
    • Blinking heck = Bloody Hell
    • Bloody = By Our Lady
    • By George = By God
    • By golly = By God's body
    • By gosh = By God
    • By gum = By God
    • By Jove = By God
    • Cheese n' Rice = Jesus Christ
    • Chrissakes = For Christ's sake
    • Christmas = Christ
    • Cor blimey = God blind me
    • Crikey = Christ
    • Criminy = Christ
    • Cripes = Christ
    • Crivvens = Christ defend us
    • Dad gum = God d--n
    • Dagnammit = Damnation, God d--n it
    • Dagnabbit = Damnation, God d--n it
    • Dang = Damn
    • Dangnabbit = Damnation, God d--n it
    • Dangnation = Damnation
    • Darn = Damn
    • Darnation = Damnation
    • Doggone = God d--n or Dog on it
    • Drat = God rot it
    • Egad = A God
    • For crying out loud = For Christ's sake
    • Gadzooks = God's hooks (referring to the nails in Jesus on the cross)
    • Gat Dangit = God d--n it
    • G.D. (pronounced "jee dee") = God d--n
    • Gee = Jesus or Jerusalem
    • Gee whizz = Jesus
    • Gee willikers = Jesus or Jerusalem
    • Gorblimey = God blind me
    • Good grief = Good God
    • Goodness gracious = Good God
    • Gosh = God
    • Gosh darned = God d--ned
    • Heck = Hell
    • Jason Crisp = Jesus Christ
    • Jebus = Jesus
    • Jeepers Creepers = Jesus Christ
    • Jeez = Jesus
    • Jeezy Creezy = Jesus Christ
    • Jehoshaphat = Jesus
    • Jesus wept = Jesus Christ
    • Jiminy Christmas = Jesus Christ
    • Jiminy Cricket = Jesus Christ
    • Judas Priest = Jesus Christ
    • Jumping Jehoshaphat = Jumping Jesus
    • My goodness = My God
    • Sacré bleu = "sacred blue" = Sang de Dieu ("God's blood")
    • Sam Hill = Hell
    • Suffering succotash = Suffering Saviour
    • Tarnation = Damnation
    • Yumping Yiminy = Jumping Jesus
    • Zounds or 'Swounds = God's wounds

"Shinola, " "Shoot, " "Shucks, " "Sugar, " etc., all refer to the modern and vulgar barnyard reference to dung. "Freaking, " "Frickin, " "Fudging, " "Feck, " "Fig, " and other "F-words" obviously refer to the highly obscene and insulting "F-word" that is so commonly used by the ignorant, vulgar and profane. As often as it is used by some one would think it was the speaker's middle name.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

To be clear, for those who aren't familiar with MPAA ratings, "PG" allows for words like "hell", "damn", and "ass", but nothing stronger. However, lately, G-rated movies can get away with one usage of such a word without getting bumped up to PG.

Anyway, my cong. was also counseled from time to time not to use euphemisms like the ones you posted, blondie, so for instance, "Oh my gosh" and "jeez" were not okay, but if someone let one slip in casual conversation, nobody would jump on them for it. Some other even more removed euphemisms were considered okay, but those might be shibboleths local to my congregation, and I'm trying to stay undercover here for now. But I definitely don't recall ever hearing an s-word or f-word from anyone in my three or so decades around Witnesses.

• blondie
    blondie

Apognophos, a lot of swearing happens behind closed doors and among "safe" jw friends. Like the ones that would watch R-rated movies with a carefully selected group of friends. I remember once an elder showed an R movie and said that they would be fast forwarding through the "bad" parts...indicating he must have seen them already.

The elders in my family said a lot of swearing went on at elder meetings (not all, but enough). I remember one elder had a construction business and regularly visited sites and swore at jw and non-jw employees.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'll take your word for it, I didn't do a lot of socializing with the congregation. Not with small groups, anyway, just the usual big get-togethers.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There was a bro in a cong I attended years back. He was on a different planet most of the time, and he partook. He also used to curse every other word, so we named him the effin annointed

• d
    d

Yes only a few I once said "what the hell" in front a few Jw friends once. I knew some Jw's that did swear quite a bit but we were all the same age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit