How Long A JW ( Baptised )?

by hillary_step 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca
    I frequently read on this Board that somebody has 'been a JW for over 25 years' and then learn that they are in fact 25 years and three days old.

So what's wrong with that? Some of us were living the JW life since we were in nappies. We had no other choice. No birthdays, no Christmases, having to tell friends that we can't go to their party because "it's against my religion". Going door-to-door in prams. stollers, toddling along with our parents, even though we didn't understand fully why we were doing it.

So in that sense I've been a JW for 30-something years

But I won't say when I was baptised because that would make it easier for the elders to ID me, wouldn't it?

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Hi Hillary,

My mom started studying in 1967 when I was 3. I was baptised in 1983 at the lake placid assembly in upstate NY. I was 19 years old and was baptised on my birthday. I haven't been disfellowshipped but I am definitely never going back! I have had this resolve for about a year and a half now.

betweenworlds

Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity. Lord Acton 1834-1902

• Kristen
    Kristen

Parents started studying when I was 3. From that point on I was raised as a JW.

I was baptized at age 16 in 1989

Walked away in 1996 (not DA or DF)

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Baptized May, 1975 aged 14 years, 11 months
    Last attended meeting (Memorial) March, 1997 aged 36 years, 9 months

Baptized service just under 22 years.

Thirdson

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

I consider myself a sort of Apostate wannabe

My grandmother got the whole ball rolling when my Mom was 5. She met and married my Father at 14. I was born 3 years later. So, I was born into it. No birthdays or holidays as a little girl.

Family became inactive "officially" when I was 10. However, the teachings and fears never left me until I was an adult.

Father became active again about 12 years ago. I made it clear I would never be a JW.

Came here when several JW relatives contacted me after 20 years of shunning (though they deny shunning) to cast some light (not to be confused with "new light") on happenings in my past. What I have discovered is that WTS is as sinister as they come.

GDW

• cynicus
    cynicus

baptized in 1976

---
    Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.

• RipVanWinkle
    RipVanWinkle

Been a publisher on record for 60 years. Carried the phonograph, testimony card, and broke into the 3 and 5 scripture "sermons". Wore those clumsy placards to announce the assembly talks. Those placards were something else.

Found a lot of joy in sharing good wholesome Bible teachings. I'm totally disappointed in some of the changes that have developed since the early 70's. Of course I have some "human" ideas for why those changes came. Primarily the fear that humans were solely responsible for keeping the "sheep in the pen".

I've learned to appreciate that it's just between me and God and I also believe that He is just, kind, loving, caring and the giver of peace to all who seek him.

I've also learned that I don't have to tell everything I know. And I've learned not to trust humans since they tend to betray trust. So with 2 ears and 1 mouth I listen more and have learned to use the "grey matter" that God gave me to use.

RVW

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Baptised 1981. Raised in. Left 1.5 years ago, not da'd or df'd (yet).

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

“Born Into The Truth,” baptized at age 7 at the insistence of my “Society Man” dad. He had urged me at age 6 to do it, but I expressed concern, so he backed off. The next year he pressured me again and I didn’t think I dared to resist him again. I made a valiant effort for over 50 years to be a “good little witness,” all the while sensing that something wasn’t right.

Faced with the blood issue a few years ago, I learned from discussions with HLC members just how unloving, unconcerned and hypocritical WTS policy makes it’s representatives become.

Served as a MS and then an elder for 20 years from about 1955 onward. I have been fading away for 15 years; haven’t been inside a KH in years.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• Infrared
    Infrared

Born into the Borg in 1978
    Baptized in 1990
    Reg pioneer, and MS 1997- 1999
    Came to my senses in 1999 and walked away, never dfd or da.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit