New Songs - Why?

by IMHO 25 Replies latest jw friends

• IMHO
    IMHO

Whose idea to have new/changed songs?

Who did they have to ok it with?

Who decided what songs would be 'deleted'? And on what basis?

Why?

Isn't there more important matters to be concerned with in this day-and-age?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Many dubs have raised the same questions ???

• wobble
    wobble

The thing I found amusing was that one Guy who wrote one or more of the songs has now DA'd. his story is on Freeminds,I think, and on a thread here.

Have they perhaps removed the ones that were totally un-singable ? Probably along with any that give any kind of respect to Jesus.

Love

Wobble

• fokyc
    fokyc

The new song books are wonderful,

I can't read the small version at all, the larger one I need a magnifying glass.

Sister fokyc has ordered a large print version, but that has no music.

The brown version was OK, but they are only producing soft covers for everything these days.

Anyway what do I need a song book for? I can't sing!

fokyc

• cantleave
    cantleave

The public talk slot at the meeting today is being used for practice of the new songs - that should be a laugh.

• IMHO
    IMHO

I've heard before that the removal of some is due to them being unsingable. If that's the case why have they lasted so long and why were they included in the first place.

If I decide to write a song, who decides whether it should be included and on what basis?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Maybe the deleted and changed songs are an indicator of which teachings they plan to modify or de-emphasize in the future.

W

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They actually want to blah-ify existence even worse. Eliminate 4/9 of the songs, and they get stale that much faster. To create the illusion of a big positive deal, you take out another 42 of them and replace them with "new" s***, and put different words on some of the others. The ones that would blah-ify things the worst or that are most suited for indoctrination are the ones that are kept or added.

• DNCall
    DNCall

Wobble: "The thing I found amusing was that one Guy who wrote one or more of the songs has now DA'd. his story is on Freeminds,I think, and on a thread here."

I'm that guy. I didn't DA. I was disfellowshipped for apostasy after 2 years of inactivity, prior to which I withdrew from my congregation responsibilities, which included writing music for the Society. IMHO: I have answered many of your questions in the article and posts referred to above. In addition, I have made comments on other songbook-related threads. As far as the selection/deletion process for the new songbook is concerned, I was involved until I bowed out. After that, I can't say, but David Splane was the GB member who was most involved in supervision.
  • RR
    RR

There have been so many doctrinal changes since the last songbook was released, that the old songbook was singing about old light, so old songs were deleted and some updated to reflect the changes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit