New Songs - Why?

by IMHO 25 Replies latest jw friends

• DNCall
    DNCall

Your Knorr-ness (post #2):

Judge for yourself: http://www.kavelinmusic.com.

• Loquacious
    Loquacious

I think it provides something the GB needs quite a bit of.........distraction.........distraction from the still to be end of the world. If I were to put myself in the GB's position, I would be acutely aware that the followers need something new to keep them occupied. The GB is the equivalent of a bunch of ppl who proclaim that a feast is almost ready to eat to a large crowd of hungry ppl.......but who actually don't have any food to give them!!! Hunger causes impatience and without any promised food, I'd personally go elsewhere for a feed.

Learning new songs should keep followers busy for quite some time!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi DNCall.

Sounds good!

- The Knorr-inator, member of the foot-in-mouth class

I have a chip on my shoulder regarding the WTB&TS and music. When I was a true-believer teenager, I attended a District Convention and met up with some friends between sessions. One of my friends brought along a fellow he was studying with, and that guy, being a pretty good musician, brought along his acoustic guitar. There were probably ten or fewer of us sitting around listening to this fellow play his guitar. I should mention that this was one of the same assemblies at which The Society condemned all sorts of music. We could have asked, "Scripture, please?" but instead it was in on ear and out the other.

Anyway, out of nowhere some elderly old coot shows up (he might actually have been Van Amburgh, I'm not sure) and begins giving us the third degree about what was this music, what were our names, what congregation were we in, etc. We told him it was "just music" and refused to answer his other questions. He went away to summon some she-bears to eat us.

The song was that demonic hit, "Get Together" by the Youngbloods

Love is but the song we sing,
    And fear's the way we die
    You can make the mountains ring
    Or make the angels cry
    Know the dove is on the wing
    And you need not know why
    C'mon people now,
    Smile on your brother
    Ev'rybody get together
    Try and love one another right now
    Some will come and some will go
    We shall surely pass
    When the one that left us here
    Returns for us at last
    We are but a moments sunlight
    Fading in the grass
    C'mon people now,
    Smile on your brother
    Ev'rybody get together
    If you hear the song I sing,
    You must understand
    You hold the key to love and fear
    All in your trembling hand
    Just one key unlocks them both
    It's there at your command
    C'mon people now,
    Smile on your brother
    Ev'rybody get together
    Right now
    Right now!

to this day I thank that old coot for helping loosen another brick in the wall for me.

• DNCall
    DNCall

NN:

Great story!

F.

• Walkin
    Walkin

DNCall and Blondie thanks for helping me with my senior moment. Karl Klein, I use to feel so blessed in his company until....... you know the rest of the story.

Walkin

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Here's an idea. Maybe they could hire some REAL songwriters to write SONGS that are actually MUSIC that will make people happy and upbeat when they sing them?

Nah, what am I thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit