How do JWs justify watching vampire shows and movies?

by truthseeker 11 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I know of a few JWs who enjoy watching vampire shows like Twilight and some have even said they will go and see the vampire movie New Moon.

It seems that some sisters have a fascination with vampires!!

How do they justify watching what is clearly questionable entertainment while still attending meetings and going out on service?

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

I think it's just double standands once again.

Hardcore JWs would probably shun such movies, but others probably realise there's no real justification and since it's something they enjoy, they'd just do it anyway as long as they dont get hassle for it...

• blondie
    blondie

I would think they are careful who they tell. How have jws justified watching Narnia movies, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Disney movies with witches?

My experience is that few jws admit watching those movies and those who do are young and ignorant.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ditto to Blondie, but I have also found many who can separate "fantasy" from reality. They are the ones who will not admit to going to R-rated movies with violence and 4-letter words, but can say they saw a Disney movie with magic in it, so what's the big deal about Narnia?

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

One of my friends (still in) actually bought Twilight for her 13y/o daughter and before that they saw all the Harry Potter movies. To me you either do something right or stand back and say do I want to do this anymore? So many of my "still in" friends ignore many of the rules but still feel obligated to attend meetings and go out in service, I don't get it either. NMKA

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Vampire movies can be justified by the R&F by pointing out that when modern vampires suck blood, they actually injest fractions, not the whole blood.

Rub a Dub

• xeracia
    xeracia

I've wondered this same thing. My sister still calls herself a Witness and yet watches Twilight and even shows like True Blood. I can't believe a Witness could watch that....But I like it ;)

Not sure how anyone can watch Twilight or New Moon though...ugh

• Gayle
    Gayle

Are you kidding! Young JW kids grow up on horror and gore!! Only it's just daily mental images at their meetings or home studies. And some pictures in books of Armageddon, children and pets falling into chaotic destruction, massive people, including children drowning, discussions on how the massive birds will feed on all the 99% population destroyed all around the world at Armageddon, 'faithful' men of old calling she-bears down to devour a group of teasing children, pictures of beheadings and stabbings and throwing rocks at people to their deaths, told all the time their fellow students and neighbors will all be destroyed soon and all this topped at their Kingdom Halls with songs having only the intonation of death.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Ha yeah I had a girl friend who still is in and dresses up with her husband on holloween and put it on facebook. They have two little boys (they are around 3 years old) and have all the Harry Potter, Vampire, rated R movies, etc. They are the most double standard JWs I ever ment. They have parties and alcohol, but NO JW will tell on them I think because they are the only hook up to freedom for teens around the area.

Then one of my other old girl friend just got reinstated and wow the vampire shows and movies are the least of her problems. She is double standarded all the way. Going out flirting with other guys when she is married.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Not a clue.

I could never figure out how my ex-wife - a devout(?) JW could justify watching movies like Ghost - and still preach that the dead are 'conscious of nothing' when they die.

It kinda made me upset - but I just learned to shrug it off as just another of their 'double-speak'.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit