American Words Unused Here. Vice-Versa Also.

by Englishman 47 Replies latest jw friends

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

England vs Australia

Crisps = Chips

Pram = Pusher

Devon = Fritz(SA)

Ice Lolly = Ice block

Off Licence = Mixed business (NSW) Deli (SA)

it's gone right pearshaped = it's rooted ;)

why bova? = why bother?

(some of these may be dead wrong I'm racking my brain trying to replay old episodes of Heartbeat and The Bill ... but there are 1000's of 'em)

Best Irish saying: "Friken Ejet" (as in Father Ted)

====

Hey Mulan,

cranking her up a notch into pro-nun-sea-ashun eh? alrighty then ..

Adelaide is pronounced Add-laid

Melbourne is pronounced Malb'n

Brisbane is pronounced Brizy

America is pronounced Amareecah

LOL

• larc
    larc

Francois,

Regarding problems with the word Beaver. North of Detroit, there is a Big Beaver Rd. A suburb of Dayton, Beavcreek, has the best girl's basketball team in the state. On the news, they are referred to as "the lady beavers", which I think is a redundancy. Have the English and Aussies figured out what beaver means. (Hint: same as muff, as in muff diving.)

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

G'day Larc,

I don't know about the English but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an American term us Australians aren't familiar with. That's a challenge ... come on, hit me with something and see if i've just made a complete drogo of myself. lol

uncleboofhead

• larc
    larc

OK Unc,

A term only used in Akron, Ohio. I did bring it up before so, maybe you saw it. What is "the devil's strip?"

What is Cincinnati Chili? A beef hot shot? Succotash? The median strip?

• Englishman
    Englishman

I picked up the inference re "Beaver" in Naked Gun where Nielsen is looking up P. Prsleys skirt and says "Nice beaver" as she brings dwn a stuffed beaver from a shelf.

And I know what muff diving is too.

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• zerubberballz
    zerubberballz
    OK Unc, A term only used in Akron, Ohio. I did bring it up before so, maybe you saw it. What is "the devil's strip?"

G'day Larc,

I think you just made a dogs breakfast outta me .lol. let's see ..

"the devils strip" mmm .. a super hot chillidog? .. a street in the red light district? a tranvestiite stripper? (like bibleman eeeewww) .. hang on I got it Mimi from the Drew Carey show! (i'd pay her not to strip)

"What is Cincinnati Chili?" - I think I saw it on a basketball top .. maybe it was kechup?
    "A beef hot shot?" - Hot beef sub?
    "Succotash?" - Indian food .. beans and maize(corn) (something Yosemite sam suffers)
    "The median strip?" - raised concrete strip in middle of road.(we have them here

nervous unclebigmouth

===

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

Zerunclerubberballzbruce:

I'm a yank and I only got the last two as well.

There's also the spelling thing.

Theatre/Theater
    Colour/Color
    Harbour/Harbor and so on.

a few more English vs. American

nappy - diaper
    biscuit - cookie/cracker
    spanner - wrench
    windscreen - windshield
    potato crisps - potato chips
    mate - friend
    bird - chick
    sheila - dame, broad, chick (oops, that Awstrawlyawn ain't it?)
    bum - butt

How about when Aussies say outback and Americans say out back. But I guess Australian another thread

CPiolo

• larc
    larc

Uncle Bruce,

Waaaay cooool duuude

Devils' strip - the strip of grass between the side walk and the street.
    This strip is about 8 feet wide.

Cincinnati Chili - five layers from bottom to top - spagetti, finely ground spicy chile meat, kidney beans, chopped sweat onions, finely grated cheese topped off with hot sauce to taste. Not known or eaten in nearby states. I introduced it to three friends in Michigan. They thought it sounded bad, but they loved it when I fixed it for them.

beef hot shot - white bread with thin layers of beaf on it covered with gravy

succotash - a mixture of corn and lima beans

median strip - we would call the cement, the divider, and the median strip is the wide area of grass between the opposing traffic lanes. These are found on most of our interstate miles. The cement dividers only appear in close quarters like the city lanes or across bridges.

Two new ones for ya - walleye and shad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit